• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate - Ideas

I have found out that Twinings have discontinued their chocolate indulgance drink. This was my favorite hot choc, it was not too sweet and quite rich, slighty bitter. THey have replaced it with some swiss chocolate powdery shite. Its way too sweet and not a patch on the previous product. What else is worth trying? I have tried green and blacks, which is ok, hate cadburys, again too sweet. I have tried some top end stuff, the charbonnel and walker, I find it does not mix well, same with the chocolate societys hot choc. Any recipes or hints? I had a fabulous one in Edinburgh, in Centotre on george street, it was like treacle, soooo rich but gorgeous!!!!!! How can I recreate that?? I know the spanish are keen on their hot chocolate, and have slighty different recipes to the italians etc. I'm fed up with fair haired hot chocolate!!!

Thanks

I have found out that Twinings have discontinued their chocolate indulgance drink. This was my favorite hot choc, it was not too sweet and quite rich, slighty bitter. THey have replaced it with some swiss chocolate powdery shite. Its way too sweet and not a patch on the previous product. What else is worth trying? I have tried green and blacks, which is ok, hate cadburys, again too sweet. I have tried some top end stuff, the charbonnel and walker, I find it does not mix well, same with the chocolate societys hot choc. Any recipes or hints? I had a fabulous one in Edinburgh, in Centotre on george street, it was like treacle, soooo rich but gorgeous!!!!!! How can I recreate that?? I know the spanish are keen on their hot chocolate, and have slighty different recipes to the italians etc. I'm fed up with fair haired hot chocolate!!!

Thanks

I'm taking a punt here but you might like L'artisan du chocolats version

http://www.artisanduchocolat.com/Artisandu...OCOLATEJARs.htm

Aint cheap but rich

On the other hand you could try making your own? there are plenty of recipes on the net

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas. I have got chocs from L'Artisan before, they are ace, so might try the hot choc. I bought some of Mortimers Chocolate powder, which again was ok, still quite sweet and found it not quite rich enough. I came home from work and found my dogs had got it off the kitchen work top and devoured it all! They obviously liked it, it didnt like them though!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the ideas. I have got chocs from L'Artisan before, they are ace, so might try the hot choc. I bought some of Mortimers Chocolate powder, which again was ok, still quite sweet and found it not quite rich enough. I came home from work and found my dogs had got it off the kitchen work top and devoured it all! They obviously liked it, it didnt like them though!

I presume you know chocolate is poisonous to dogs? Its the theobromine apparently same applies to horses too.

L'artisan have a concession in selfridges now fyi

... What else is worth trying? I have tried green and blacks, which is ok, hate cadburys, again too sweet. I have tried some top end stuff, the charbonnel and walker, I find it does not mix well, same with the chocolate societys hot choc. Any recipes or hints? ...

Mixing/dissolving is the difference between cocoa and "drinking chocolate" in my terms.

Cocoa needs persuasion to mix well.

I've used Waitrose's "Cocoa". Very plain packaging.

100% cocoa.

Zero sugar, powdered milk, stabilisers, emulsifiers, etc, etc, that make up the bulk of most 'drinking chocolates' AND help the cocoa to disperse. Just one teaspoonful of the Waitrose Cocoa makes a mugful. BUT you MUST slowly mix the powder with a teaspoonful or so (very very little) COLD milk, to make a paste in the mug, before you add the hot milk.

Take your time and squidge it about to make the paste while the milk heats. Do that and it dissolves/disperses pretty well.

Its surprisingly cheap, and you can sprinkle just a pinch of it on your cappuccino as well ...

Probably not the most exclusive product, but it might meet your requirements!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I melt good sweetened chocolate in milk/half and half to cover. Nuke on half power till melted. If you're going to use sugar, put it in now so it melts too. Stir once or twice to make sure big globs of chocolate aren't sticking to the glass.

Add a pinch of salt, a pinch or two of cinnamon, and then the sweetener of your choice (if you haven't used sugar). For my diabetic Dad, that's the same kind of sugar free syrup you get in coffee shops.

I've used Baker's, and I've used Valhrona, and the quality of the chocolate makes a real difference.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 2 weeks later...