• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I confess: my X isn't as good as Y's

Fat Guy

My rice is a pudding mess.

I can't cook a decent East Indian curry, potato chops or pan rolls (all Indian Catholic specialties that my mother makes)

And I'm Indian so I feel awful!

The only reason I get away with my poor versions of the same is because I do all the cooking at home and my husband doesn't complain.

My pie crusts are not as good as my mother's. And never will be, because I don't like pie enough to do anything about it.

I also leave deep-fried anything to the experts. I think I last tried to deep-fry something myself about 21 years ago.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

My buttermilk biscuits aren't as good as... pretty much any I've tried from anyone who makes them. I've started doing all of my biscuits with larger pieces of fat and a couple turns to laminate the dough a bit and I get light, flaky biscuits every time but they're not the same critter as those big fluffy things you get when a little old country lady makes biscuits for you. The light and flaky biscuits just don't work the same when you drown 'em in sausage gravy, they go instantly soggy.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Many of the responses above are so true for me as well. I have nothing original to add except:

I confess: my X chromosome's instructions to safely gather nutrients . . .

isn't as good as Y chromosome's instructions to hunt them down and burn them.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My mom and I were just talking about this so I'm going to shout her out in this one.

My mom's chicken soup isn't as good as my grandmom's chicken soup.

Back story: the soup is basically canned chicken broth with shredded carrots--that's it. My brother and I LOVED this soup growing up and no one has ever been able to replicate it. Sadly, my grandmother is no longer with us and we will never again have our "carrot soup."

Hmmm...what are my confessions???

My macaroni and cheese isn't as good as LOTS of places, regardless of the amount (and variety) of cheese I use.

My mashed potatoes are never as good as the restaurant variety, with the exception of New Year's Eve when I added an ungodly amount of butter. Shh, don't give away my secret!

My pancakes aren't as good as anyone else's, as far as I can tell. My sister uses the same recipe I do, and hers are light and fluffy and perfect. Mine are not as good as you'd find at your local Denny's.

Veg bacon... I am sure it is not as good as the real thing, but what is a Jewish guy supposed to do!

Dan :(

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

my baking in general is not as good as anyone elses baking in general

in general I suck at baking

it is ok since I get fat when I eat baked goods but it is a skill I have always wanted to acheive!

I always thought if I were given an Rx for ritalin just to bake I could do it. Everything I do in the kitchen that is wonderful is impulsive and I can not seem to turn that off when it comes to baking..I waste a lot of food when I bake... if I took a pill for impulse control maybe I could bake!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet