• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remember when . . .

Fat Guy

I remember when lamb was inexpensive to buy. Ground lamb patties were the cheapest meat in my grocery at $.49 in 1960 when DH and I were married. We were both students and poverty stricken.

And no one would ever have dreamed of eating a chicken wing unless forced to.

And you could still buy fresh peas.

And corn came in so many varieties, not just Peaches and Cream or some other sweet thing.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

And no one would ever have dreamed of eating a chicken wing unless forced to. 

You must not have known very many Chinese/Filipino/Thai/etc. people. I've never known anyone from those groups to shun chicken wings. . . ever. . .

I remember when few people (as a percentage) were overweight, much less obese.

...supermarket fruit had taste (and fragrence).

...supermarkets had actual butchers, who actually butchered primal cuts, in store, rather than receiving cryo-vac packages of already broken down cuts.

...pork wasn't "enhanced".

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

...Carvel was really good ice cream.

...Jack in the Box was Mexican food (OK, I grew up on Long Island).

...Jeremiah Tower was a cool chef.

...Wolfgang Puck was a cool chef.

...crappy chef's weren't hawking their wares on HSN.

...Rachael Ray wasn't in existence.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

... a tall class of milk was the beverage served to children at mealtime?

And pop was something you got as a treat once in a while in the summer.

Do you remember how good those little blue bottles of Coke tasted out of the machine? And how about the A&W root beer when they hung the tray off the window of your car?

Mom would fire up a big batch of popcorn, stuff it in a bag while Dad was loading the convertible with kool-aid, blankets and pillows.

Then, with breathless anticipation, all of us kids would pile in, and head to the DRIVE IN MOVIE THEATRE!!! YAY!!!

There was a little playground in front of the giant screen, where the young bucks and buckettes would burn off the last of the day's energy before the first movie started. We'd all head back to the car, have a little popcorn and kool-aid, smack our little lips, and drift off into a contented nap/sleep.

Mom and Dad would have a little "quality time", and in the intermission between features, we'd be awakened to witness fireworks coming from behind the screen. OOH!!!! AHHHH!!!!

We'd all tumble back into sleepyland, and Mom and Dad would have a little more quality time - actually watching a movie without youngsters' interruptions.

A win, all the way round, and memories that will never die. I would magically wake up the next morning, never having felt myself carried in by the strong arms of my Father.

Ahh, yesssss!!

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

... a tall class of milk was the beverage served to children at mealtime?

And pop was something you got as a treat once in a while in the summer.

Do you remember how good those little blue bottles of Coke tasted out of the machine? And how about the A&W root beer when they hung the tray off the window of your car?

Nothin' beat those little bottles of coke, with real cane sugar!, on a hot summer day...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

....food wasn't something you obsessed about?

(Yeah, now we're all going to worry about that...)

My parents have always obsessed about food. When they were living in Thailand, my father heard about a place famous for a particular dish, so he dragged my mother out to a filthy divey truck stop in the middle of nowhere to eat what turned out to be bull testicles.

She was not happy. :laugh:

when the can of grease sat on the stove to catch the drippings....and was reused.

when you could take your macaroni salad to the church function and no one got too paranoid about the mayo in the salad (you know I ate more food that sat out all day at picnics and never got sick, maybe I just lucked out)

microwaves did not exist...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

....food wasn't something you obsessed about?

(Yeah, now we're all going to worry about that...)

My parents have always obsessed about food. When they were living in Thailand, my father heard about a place famous for a particular dish, so he dragged my mother out to a filthy divey truck stop in the middle of nowhere to eat what turned out to be bull testicles.

She was not happy. :laugh:

Wow that sounds familiar.