• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for food ~ Avon ring

I am heading to England in April for a canal holiday and am hoping to get some culinary recommendations. The route we are taking is known as The Avon Ring and my major stopping points are Bromsgrove, Stratford (2 nights), Evesham, Tewksbury and Worcester. We also have one night in London and are staying in the area of Grosvenor Square/Hyde Park.

Any suggestions for good places to eat in the cities and towns along our route? I am an adventurous eater and a professional cook, but I am not rich, so budget breakers are out of the question.

In London, I was eyeing up Hereford Road as a possibility. Good choice? Or are there better to be had in the area I am staying in?

Any and all help would be appreciated. This is not my first trip to England (In fact, I lived in York for four years a couple decades ago) but it is the first time I want to go with a culinary focus. I have done some reading through the last year on this boards, but instead of answering questions, I find myself even more confused about where to eat...

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Linda

Edited by Kayaksoup (log)

< Linda >

I am heading to England in April for a canal holiday and am hoping to get some culinary recommendations. The route we are taking is known as The Avon Ring and my major stopping points are Bromsgrove, Stratford (2 nights), Evesham, Tewksbury and Worcester.

High-end suggestions:

Le Champignon Sauvage, Cheltenham (nr. Tewksbury) - 2* needs booking in advance but well worth it. http://www.lechampignonsauvage.co.uk/

Once up into Bromsgrove area, you could access central Birmingham by canal in which case:

Purnell's (City Centre) - 1* also needs booking, experience Glyn's "brummy fusion" cooking. http://www.purnellsrestaurant.com/

Simpsons (Edgbaston) - 1* great high-end food http://www.simpsonsrestaurant.co.uk/

For the more middle-range stuff I have to say I've not had a lot of success with restaurants or pubs for eating around that area.

In Birmingham I would highly recommend Lasans for a more refined curry experience (www.lasan.co.uk) than you will get at our famous Balti Triangle! This is located in the Jewellery Quarter so you can also check out the world-famous museum of the jewellery quarter at the same time!

The best gastropub I've found is probably the Talbot Pub in Knightwick, which is down the road from Worcester towards Leominster. Leominster is great if you like antiques. http://www.the-talbot.co.uk/

Also recomended is the Fleece Inn near Evesham, a lovely historic pub, centre of the asaparagus festival celebrations (I think you will be a little early for this). http://thefleeceinn.co.uk/index.html

There are a couple of entries in the Michelin guide for Bromsgrove but have not had the pleasure.

Slightly out of left field, but for my money the best fish and chips in the Black Country are found at the Black Country Living Museum, served between 12 and 2.30 - cooked authentic way in dripping, with the added bonus that you have the museum to walk around at the same time, which is a really great day out. http://www.bclm.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

Would be interested to hear what gems other eGulleteers have found?

Good food... Bromsgrove... HAHAHA! Anyone with knowledge of Bromsgrove will probably understand my disbelief, but hey, if michelin say so... Its a strange town, used to be quite good, busy shopping location, these days its on its arse.

But anyway, LCS might be a bit out of the way for you, you'd have to get a train from one of your stop off points, probably Evesham, much easier to get to the station than Tewkesbury, which is actually a fair way out of town at Ashchurch. If you can make it though, it would be your blow out i imagine, approx £50 per person for full dinner, plus wine and service, but well, well worth it.

Its a great canal, you'll love the travelling, as far as food goes this is as far as my knowledge takes me.

Thank you both for your comments.

Nickloman, I am checking out all the recommendations on your list to see if I can work them into our route.

CalumC, thank you for the travel tip. Anything that makes navigating the area easier is much appreciated. Also, if there is nothing truly good in Bromsgrove, it probably won't matter that much as jet lag will no doubt be kicking in...

< Linda >

Good food... Bromsgrove... HAHAHA! Anyone with knowledge of Bromsgrove will probably understand my disbelief, but hey, if michelin say so... Its a strange town, used to be quite good, busy shopping location, these days its on its arse.

Yeah, that's what I thought.. Bromsgrove doesn't seem like an obvious culinary mecca - the place that gets a good write-up in the 2008 michelin is "Epic Brasserie" - but I cannot find an official website for it, perhaps it has closed?

Yeah, that's what I thought.. Bromsgrove doesn't seem like an obvious culinary mecca - the place that gets a good write-up in the 2008 michelin is "Epic Brasserie" - but I cannot find an official website for it, perhaps it has closed?

My dad mentioned a place a little out of town (he's originally from the area) but i can't remember the name, ill pester him for it again. As far as i know, the centre of town peaks with a Pizza Hut and Wetherspoons... Beer and a burger anyone?