• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Supply Shop in NYC Area?

supadisco

Hello there helpful people!

Did a search but came up empty. Would LOVE to locate a specialty pastry shop in the greater NY area, specifically one that carries such items as ice cream/sorbet stabilizers, glucose, invert sugar, tapioca maltodextrin, etc. I just moved to the area from SF and we had Le Sanctuaire out there, but having trouble finding a NYC equivalent.

Any leads would be most appreciated! Thanks so much!!

jason :)

New York Cake and Baking Distributors

56 West 22nd Street (near 6th Ave.)

212 675 2253

is supposed to be the place, at least that's what a bunch of pastry chefs have told me over the years.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

56 West 22nd Street  (near 6th Ave.)

212 675 2253

is supposed to be the place, at least that's what a bunch of pastry chefs have told me over the years.

I was in here for the first time the other day - I just happened to be walking by and popped in. If you're a p & b freak, this is the place. They appeared to have everything.

Expensive though.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

212 675 2253

I was in here for the first time the other day - I just happened to be walking by and popped in. If you're a p & b freak, this is the place. They appeared to have everything.

Expensive though.

And nasty people, really nasty people!

Tim

212 675 2253

Expensive though.

And nasty people, really nasty people!

Tim

I didn't have any interaction with the staff, which is kinda funny as I was walking around in there for about 15 minutes. Seemed to me like they do a good portion of their biz on the phone and internet.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

You guys ROCK! Thanks SO much for the tips. After a couple of failed attempts to reach the NY Bake people on the phone, I'm just going to head over there today and hope they have stock of what I need.

And placing an order w/Lepicerie too. They look fantastic...similar to the west coast's Le Sanctuaire.

I wanted to buy from Paris Gourmet, located just a few miles away in New Jersey (http://parisgourmet.com/), but they require a restaurant account. They suggested ordering through ChocolateCrafter.com -- but they seem even more spendy than the others.

Thanks again!

j :)

Went to the Cake and Baking Supply a couple days ago and left a bit disappointed. They did have glucose, albeit $18 for 5lbs, but no inverted sugar and the rest of their stuff seemed too pricey to consider.

The fellow at the counter was barking at the few customers shopping with a Tourette's-like shout of "NEXT STEP DOWN!" meanwhile no one was even on line. Strange.

Would LOVE to place an order with Lepicerie, but i see that their free delivery option is limited to residential buildings only here as well as requiring a $125 minimum order. I'm over half-way to the $125, but would need to call in a favor from a friend to have it home delivered.

If any kind Manhattan folks on here would be interested in going in on an order, feel free to reply or PM me...i'll put the whole order on my credit card and even bake you some cookies! :)

-jason