• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viking cookware

cbread

I realized I just could never be happy with the Allclad handles. Absent that factor, I would have got Allclad as it is otherwise the best value of it's ilk I could find.

Allclad really needs to rethink those handles. They seem a real deterrent to some folks like me.

I doubt I'm enough of a cook to feel much difference between Allclad and M'cook pans by their cooking performance as you note, but just handling the M'cook pans is way more pleasant for me. Not something I'd urge on anyone else, but it seems the solution for me.

Added note - it's not just that I have torqued my wrist and arm - that''s an issue with any pot I use, but the nearly sharp back edge of the handle on Allclad. That sharp corner just sticks in my hand in a way that's user hostile.

And Allclad handles are too narrow for me anyway - too little leverage for easy manipulation of the pan. Otherwise I'd just take them into the shop and grind off the sharp edge.

I could, I suppose, get material added to the width of the Allclad handles by welding. I would then be able to pretty it up by grinding filing polishing etc, myself. I can't quite see the cost though of someone else do the actual welding extra material onto the Allclad handle to beef it up - by the time that was done, each pan would cost a lot - I'd have spent less buying Viking at full boat price.

I just don't get it!

All-Clad has those lousy handles and no pouring lips.

Viking has no pouring lips.

Mauviel M'cook pans don't have helper handles (even on a 9 quart saucepan) and cast iron handles.

Why is common sense so elusive?

Tim

Tim,

I don't get it either - each of those design decisions you note seems a no-brainer - but I didn't get a vote on design.

At least with Mauviel M'cook there are 6.4 qt and 9.2 qt sauce pots - they refer to them as stew pans - with two "D" type handles, stock pot style.

I'm leaning towards those double handles on even 6 qt pots - since I crank my arm less with stock pot style handles.

• 11 years later...

I was in need of a smaller saute pan than my 3-qt. All-Clad stainless and I came across this one by Viking.

It arrived via UPS this morning and I'm thrilled with it.

The pans mentioned in the earliler threads from 2009 mentioned 7-ply/

This one is 3 ply but is at least as heavy as my similar AC pans.

They also offer a 'professional' line that's 5-ply.

Macy's had this on sale and with their code I paid only >$129 for it.

I love the  handle!  I don't love AC handles.

• Like 2