• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decisions, decisions

We have a family birthday meal coming up and are trying to choose where to go. Were tempted to try Hartnett's place but the slot we were offered was a bit rushed. Current short list is the Capital, Lindsay House, Pied à Terre, Putney Bridge, and the River Café. Of these I've been to LH twice and enjoyed it very much both times, but I'm aware of other members' criticisms, particularly in the absence of Corrigan. I've been to River Café several times (although not for over a year) and have never visited the others. Locatelli is off the list for personal reasons (not mine, I've never been).

Main concerns: food should be good (obviously); one diner is particularly obsessed with good desserts; prefer a relaxed environment (not necessarily informal, but unimposing); hate over-loud restaurants (hello Sugar Club); and would prefer avoiding wine lists where you have to scale the heights to get anything drinkable.

Any thoughts on the above list or alternatives would be very helpful. Thankee.

On the negative side, I would agree with avoiding LH. my meals there have been not far short of a travesty. I would also suggest avoiding Pied as it can be far too stuffy and on my last visit ( about three months ago ) it seemed to have dipped a notch.

On the positive, I continue to suggest Rhodes in The Square to people and few have been disappointed. River Cafe can be excellent. Last time it was not, but the time before it was exemplary. My one trip to the Square was memorable.

But, above all of them, I would rate The Capital. it seems to meet all your needs. Sublime food, discreet surroundings and, for the sweet toothed in your crowd, by far the best desserts I have had in London in 02.

S

I guess like everyone else so far I would put The Capital first, but it would be worth considering Putney Bridge. I was very impressed with sunday lunch a few weeks ago. The food is similar in style to that at The Capital although possibly not quite as polished, the desserts are better at The Capital and may appeal to those with a 'sweeter tooth' more. (Petits fours are probably as good at Putney bridge). The wine list at both starts at a reassuringly low level but goes as high as you want.

You might prefer the space at Putney bridge, I like The Capital but I only ever go there as a couple I don't know what it would be like with a larger group, it is very friendly and informal in a formal way (if that makes sense), it is quite a quiet dining room. Putney bridge has great views, plenty of room although I don't know how noisy it gets in the evening, it has lots of hard surfaces and of course people from Fulham, Putney etc who always seem to be loud when we are there.

Rhodes in the Square was excellent when we went a couple of weeks ago and is well worth considering, but it was quite noisy when we went (it was a very busy Saturday night) and the desserts were by far the weakest part of the meal.

Paul

Of your list, I would plump for The Capital. I should hasten to add that I have not as yet been, but I was peering through it's window the other day at the very elegant dining and looking at the menu which sounded very nice indeed, particularly at lunchtime.

I would not return to either LH or PAT, and would go to RC on a sunnyday, most likely at lunchtime I think. The food is very basic and very expensive in my opinion.

I have heard varying reports about Putney Bridge, from excellent to not so good.

How about "Fifteen"? You could report back for us :biggrin:

I am going to go to Fifteen.  Who knows?  It might be any good

S

It's a possibility I suppose but his efforts at Montes weren't universally praised, and he does have a lot of competition in the Italian food stakes in London. At least it's handy for you though.

Capital, Lindsay House, Pied à Terre, Putney Bridge, and the River Café.

Kikujiro -- I would consider Capital, Putney Bridge and Lindsay House (in that order) as the better possibilities. I think Putney Bridge is a promising restaurant with good cuisine, although I have not visited within the past year now. I like Lindsay House (not as much as PB), although Corrigan can be somewhat inconsistent. By the way, Lindsay House could be less expensive than Capital or Putney Bridge if you were willing to have a pre-theater dinner (choices are limited, but can be pretty good sometimes) -- not that that is the message you want to convey for a family celebration. For dinner, Putney Bridge is not necessarily that much less expensive than Capital, in my assessment.

It's not that I dislike Pied a Terre, but I wouldn't consider it to be as good as Capital or PB. Note I have not visited since the PaT renovation. River Cafe, I have only visited during lunch. Less technical cuisine, and probably less expensive than the others. :wink: