• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burns Night 2009: 250th Anniversary

Take part in the annual Robert Burns toast celebrating the man, the poetry, the haggis and the Scotch Whisky.

Help set a new Guinness World Record for 'Largest Simultaneous Toast'.

*edited to remove the "e" as in emerald

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm SURE you mean whisky and not whiskey. (shudder......)

susan

I proofread that post twice but didn't realize I was revealing my penchant for Jameson.

Since it's a Burns Night Toast, let's loose the misleading e.

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Moe Sizlack

I have the dubious honor of living 2 miles from perhaps the most famous Haggis producer in the USA: Stewarts of Kearney, in Kearney NJ. I say dubious, because I tried it and didn't really like it. But they are working overtime to shipping loads of haggis all over the country Burns Eve. I'll be having pasties, bridies, and meat pies instead.

Their as authentic as you can get in the USA, but since US law prevents using certain parts of the pluck (e.g., the lungs) for food, it is a little different than you'd get in Glasgow. People who like haggis say its the best.

Count me in, I will be toasting to Robbie on Burns Eve.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Today's the day, but "any toast taking place between 16th January and 7th February will be recorded towards our worldwide total". Click.

Moe Sizlack

I have the dubious honor of living 2 miles from perhaps the most famous Haggis producer in the USA: Stewarts of Kearney, in Kearney NJ. I say dubious, because I tried it and didn't really like it. But they are working overtime to shipping loads of haggis all over the country Burns Eve. I'll be having pasties, bridies, and meat pies instead.

Their as authentic as you can get in the USA, but since US law prevents using certain parts of the pluck (e.g., the lungs) for food, it is a little different than you'd get in Glasgow. People who like haggis say its the best.

Count me in, I will be toasting to Robbie on Burns Eve.

My luv is like a red, red rose for Tim Hayward's article on making haggis in the "Guardian"

And Peter, I'll be raising my glass. Scots wae hae and all that!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I got invited to a Burns night fiesta by a wandering New Orleans bagpiper. I am considering going primarily to say I have had haggis.

So is the traditional sheep's stomach also illegal in the USA, along with the lungs? Seems like a shame.

An email I received from the organizers:

Hello Peter,

It has been a real whirlwind experience to have countries from all over the globe becoming involved and we are so glad that you helped us to make this one of the biggest celebrations ever.

You may already have noticed our Worldwide Toast Table which can be accessed via the web-site home page and you will see that Canada is well in the lead with regard to glasses raised!

Also, if you know of any other events which have taken place, please do encourage them to log and register their numbers. So long as they have a total of the numbers, any toasts raised between 16th January and 7th February will count towards the worldwide total.

Slainte Mhath! (SLAWN cha va, Gaelic for "good health to you")

Moe Sizlack

I'll be making a haggis later in the week for a late Burns' Night Supper this weekend. I'll post images if people are interested. As the temperature has been 43.C for the last few days I'm not looking forward to the production this year. Here are some images of an earlier effort.

Um, I think that a Gaelic toast on Burns' Night is a bit odd, given that one of his main claims to fame was the popularization of the Scots language.

I'll be making a haggis later in the week for a late Burns' Night Supper this weekend. I'll post images if people are interested. As the temperature has been 43.C for the last few days I'm not looking forward to the production this year. Here are some images of an earlier effort.

Um, I think that a Gaelic toast on Burns' Night is a bit odd, given that one of his main claims to fame was the popularization of the Scots language.

Adam, I'll speak for the people are we're interested!

If it's 43C you must be down under, and that photo of the smiling rumen will be with me for many nights. Here in Nova Scotia the toast is always a Canadian Scotch Gaelic, such as Slainte Mhath or Cead Mile Failte.

Moe Sizlack

Adam, I'll speak for the people are we're interested!

If it's 43C you must be down under, and that photo of the smiling rumen will be with me for many nights. Here in Nova Scotia the toast is always a Canadian Scotch Gaelic, such as Slainte Mhath or Cead Mile Failte.

Melbourne to be exact. Air conditioning has just failed in the building too.

Mostly it was "cheers!" when I lived in Edinburgh, but on occasion there was the odd "Slainte!". One day I will have to work out what the equivalent Lowland toast is.

Melbourne to be exact. Air conditioning has just failed in the building too.

Adam, I have an idea . . .

Why not pop down to the Rod Laver Arena for the Nadal/Federer Australian Open Tennis final and get another 15,000 participants for the toast? I understand it's quite comfortable when the roof is closed. :biggrin:

Moe Sizlack

• 11 months later...