• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gumbo in french quarter

KennethT

My wife and I go to NO usually once a year - she grew up in River Ridge, but now we live in NYC... when we go, we usually feast on oysters, boiled crawfish, gumbo and jambalaya for a few days before heading home.... but the last few times we've been really disappointed by the gumbo we've had - most of it was pretty flavorless and looked like it was thickened with cornstarch!!!

Any locals know of some great gumbo out there?!?!? Thanks!

I love Coops... we go there on our first night every time we go since we usually get in around 10:30 or so, and it's a few blocks from our hotel... they have an awesome jambalaya... but I don't know if I remember their gumbo - if it's on the menu, I'm sure i've had it, but I can't remember it... I'll definitely give it another try when I go back...

It's funny - my wife and I have a preference for Crystal hot sauce over Tabasco - but they have Tabasco on the table... turns out - they keep Crystal behind the bar for anyone who asks...

I like the gumbo at Mr. B's. Actually, I also like the gumbo at K-Paul's...of course, they are sort of the same gumbo. For a different kind of gumbo that is usually excellent, try L'il Dizzy's. Of course, that is not in the Quarter -- their main restaurant is in Treme, up Esplanade almost to Claiborne, but they have a branch on Poydras, in the CBD. Wonderful stuff.

I can verify that Coop's makes a mighty fine gumbo. And yes, I was also greatly distressed by the lack of Crystal on the table!

Antoines makes tasty gumbo, in my opinion.

I also like the gumbo at Ignatius, although that's down on Magazine in the garden district.

Headed to Deanies today for gumbo and thought it was quite good. You can get a very large bowl of seafood gumbo and a salad for 11 bucks...not a bad lunch deal. Really nice service, as well.