• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep-frying Agar Agar?

localherbavore

I got an idea while walking yesterday dreaming about spring and I would like to know how I can make red wine a semi-solid that will hold up in a deep frier (it will not have direct contact but clse enough). I have agar agar in my cabinet and before I set off on uncharted culinary territory I would like a guide. Is it possible and what technique would I use to make red wine "balls"?

I don't think agar would survive a journey into the deep fryer unless it's really quick. It's somewhat heat stable but not at those temps. Even if it did, I think you would have to instantly pop it in your mouth straight from the fryer. Once the agar began to melt, your breading wouldn't last long. Maybe you could try something with gellan.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

gellan can take up to 90 celsius heating,why not try with metil.

I thought gellan could go a lot hotter than 90C, since gellan is what Wylie Dufresne uses (or used, anyway) for his deep-fried mayonnaise. Did you mean to type "agar"?

As for the OP's question about forming red wine balls, I'd think the easiest way would be to dissolve the gellan into the base, then portion it into spherical molds and let it set. Then you can release them from the molds, batter and deep fry.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara