• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PHL] North of Manila--any good eats?

My next big trip will be to the Philippines. This time, my mother will be meeting me in Manila and we'll be traipsing around there for a couple of weeks. We'll also be taking a highway bus up to Baguio (where she lived for part of her teenage-hood) for a few days, and then stopping off for a couple of nights in the Pampanga area on the way back to Manila.

Any suggestions for eats in those places? In Baguio, we'll be staying near all the action i.e. near SM Mall. I'm hoping not to have to venture into the mall at all, but if we get stuck, at least we'll be near the food court.

I'm a little confused about Pampanga. I had always thought Pampanga was a city, but I've discovered it's an area. Where do most people visit in that area? Is there a particular city or town with the best food, or where we can get a sampling of all the specialties of the area? (any advice about a hotel or b&b would also be welcome)

I've been going through a few blogs (Market Manila, Eating Asia), but other recs would be great!

Pampanga is a province, like a state. When I lived there, the action was in Angeles City.

But that's been waaay too long ago for any of my advice about restaurants to be timely.

I actually got married there, and went to Baguio on our honeymoon. Fun things to do while on Luzon include trips to Hundred Islands and Pagsanjan Falls.

Something else we did for fun was to drive down to the tip of Bataan and take a banca boat over to the island of Corregidor for the day.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Pampanga is a province, like a state.  When I lived there, the action was in  Angeles City.

But that's been waaay too long ago for any of my advice about restaurants to be timely.

I actually got married there, and went to Baguio on our honeymoon.  Fun things to do while on Luzon include trips to Hundred Islands and Pagsanjan Falls.

Something else we did for fun was to drive down to the tip of Bataan and take a banca boat over to the island of Corregidor for the day.

You lived in Pampanga? I knew you lived in the Phil, but I had assumed in Manila. Were you (or one of your parents or your husband) in the armed forces?

And you never know about your advice being out of date! I've been reading up, and there are at least some long-time bakeries/bakers still around! Got any ensaimada favourites from those days? I'm planning to do an ensaimada tasting! And perhaps a tocino one, too.

If there's anything/anywhere you want me to check out while I'm there, I'd be happy to try. And I'll take pictures--it might be fun for you to reminisce!

I just heard from my mother that one of her old beaus will be probably taking us sight-seeing in Pampanga (they dated when they lived in Baguio, but his family is originally from Pampanga), so we'll have a car and driver to take us wherever we want to go! We might rent a chauffered car in Baguio, so that option may be there, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rona!

I'm still in the States and won't be back till probably April. Anyway, regarding Baguio, you can't leave without going to Cafe by the Ruins at least once. Breakfast is especially good (with their home-cured bacon or longanisang hubad), but of course lunch and dinner are great too. Can't recommend this place enough.

I'm half-Kapampangan (though I don't speak the language), and unfortunately it's just one of those places where "my momma's cooking is better than..." is true. When we're there we never need to eat out, we just park our butts at my grandmother's and we eat great food. About Angeles, I've heard of great places to eat there but haven't felt compelled to go. Try this link:

http://80breakfasts.blogspot.com/2007/03/c...s-xo-sauce.html

There are some additional links there that may help you out. Good luck! :)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Hi Rona!

I'm still in the States and won't be back till probably April. Anyway, regarding Baguio, you can't leave without going to Cafe by the Ruins at least once. Breakfast is especially good (with their home-cured bacon or longanisang hubad), but of course lunch and dinner are great too. Can't recommend this place enough.

You won't be back till April!?!??!?!?! Crap! I'll only be there till April 4th. :sad:

We'll definitely go to Cafe by the Ruins. I love love love breakfast!

I'm half-Kapampangan (though I don't speak the language), and unfortunately it's just one of those places where "my momma's cooking is better than..." is true. When we're there we never need to eat out, we just park our butts at my grandmother's and we eat great food. About Angeles, I've heard of great places to eat there but haven't felt compelled to go. Try this link:

http://80breakfasts.blogspot.com/2007/03/c...s-xo-sauce.html

There are some additional links there that may help you out. Good luck! :)

I've read that about the food--it's always better at home! Thanks for the link! I've been trying to do a lot of research online. We'll be going with someone originally from the area (or maybe his family is from there), so I hope he can find us some good places! I want to be prepared with a list, just in case, though.

Thanks for dropping in, and I hope you're having a good time in the freezing temperatures of the US! :laugh: If you happen to get back to Manila before April, please let me know! I think we're going to have access to a car and driver, depending on where we stay, so we may be able to get around fairly easily.