• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Home Coffee Brewers - 2009 and on...

waterdogs

I'd be skeptical about using the Bunn with a timer. Because you turn the machine on by closing the lid where you pour the water in. The coffee starts coming out almost instantly when you close the lid. I don't know what would happen if you closed the lid - and the power wasn't on. Nothing good I suspect.

Also - the main virtue of the machine (except perhaps in terms of saving energy) is that hot water is stored in the machine - you are "topping it off" when you make coffee (you have to wait a while for the water in the unit to heat up when you first buy it - or after you clean it or shut it down for vacation). The water stored in the unit won't be hot if the power hasn't been on for a while when you try to make coffee. So - if you power on the unit only when you want to make coffee - you'll probably wind up with cold cofee.

I'd call the company and get its opinion first. But I suspect using this unit with a timer isn't a very good idea. Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

My only experience with Bunns has been with their commercial units, where the coffee is uniformly lousy, but that's because no one uses decent coffee in them. Maybe with good ingredients they do better. Still, I'm surprised at the enthusiasm for the Bunn. Doesn't holding water at 200F rid the water of dissolved oxygen?

My vote would also be for the Capresso MT500 (here's a Society-friendly Amazon link: Capresso MT500). Like ElsieD, I have a recent version of the Cuisinart Grind and Brew -- actually, I'm on my second, since the grinder gave out after three months. Three months into the replacement, the grinder on that one broke, too. If I'm going to spend $170 on a coffeemaker that won't grind, I want one that makes better coffee than the G&B does. The Capresso does that, and it has a timer and a very good thermal carafe.

I don't have any experience with the Bunn, but have heard good things about the Capresso. If I was looking for a drip-machine the Capresso probably would be it.

Holding water at 200 degrees should not be a problem. The tea bar at The Cultured Cup uses Zori water heaters that can hold the temp at one of three settings, including 208 F and they do a great job brewing black and red teas at 208. If you run a full boil for a minute or two past reaching 212, however, it will indeed boil the life out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Technivorm Moccamaster.

Yes, that's a handful of money. However, the Bunn unit is using expensive energy 24 hrs a day (I think). The cost should perhaps be equal after a year or two, and you're drinking much better coffee for years to come! A lot of my stuff, I couldn't care less, but my coffee maker needs to be the best, within some sort of reason.

I deserve it, don't you? :wink:

BTW, I also upgraded my coffee vendor to George Howell's Terroir Select Coffees. They normally have the Technivorm in stock, and have a great selection of roast coffees.

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

• 7 months later...

Technivorm Moccamaster.

Yes, that's a handful of money. However, the Bunn unit is using expensive energy 24 hrs a day (I think). The cost should perhaps be equal after a year or two, and you're drinking much better coffee for years to come! A lot of my stuff, I couldn't care less, but my coffee maker needs to be the best, within some sort of reason.

I deserve it, don't you? :wink:

BTW, I also upgraded my coffee vendor to George Howell's Terroir Select Coffees. They normally have the Technivorm in stock, and have a great selection of roast coffees.

I won a Technivorm and it's pretty awesome: convenience of a drip brewer, but actually good coffee coming out of it. The gradations on the water reservoir are very convenient. It's my least effort-requiring brewer at home, and now, my most used.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

The MT500 is being replaced with a new model next month, so typical of Capresso, they have dumped their inventory.

Capresso is hardly alone in clearing out inventory of discontinued product; many manufacturers follow this practice. Regardless, the MT500 is a very good coffeemaker, and this news actually provides another good reason (along with the price) to snap one up, given Capresso's reputation for poor new-product introductions.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 1 year later...

Hi there - long time reader, third-time poster. I actually came here a few days ago to look for coffee maker recommendations after our Cuisinart DCC-1200 ...ignited. We REALLY liked the machine, and in fact it was the second we'd purchased (the first died after 18 months), and we liked it and the coffee it made right up until it started smoking and getting extremely hot.

I figured, since it was being recommended here, that I'd let you guys know about this problem. We're far, far from the only ones this has happened to - and a few unfortunate souls have even had their houses burned down by the DCC-1200, 2200, and the Grind-and-Brew Cuisinarts. The Consumer Affairs site has a long, long list of complaints:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/cuisinart.html

If you look at its page on Amazon.com, there are several complaints about fire and smoking there as well (look at the 1-star reviews and the product forum at the bottom of the page):

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-1200-Central-Coffeemaker-Stainless/dp/B00005IBX9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297280733&sr=8-1

We actually had CPSC at the house this morning so we could give them the unit and file a formal report in the hopes that Cuisinart would recall this machine. It's pretty appalling and I'm quite mad that this has been going on for *years* without them doing anything about it.

Anyway, love the forum, and we're hoping that the Capresso we got based on the recommendations here works out well!

-ygg/katie

eGullet frappr map: show us where you are!

I recently retired my Melitta. I use my Bodum French press exclusively now. It makes two mugs' worth. One goes in my big insulated mug, the other in a thermos for later consumption.

I use a travel french press, the plastic variety, at work, heating the water in the microwave, grinding the beans each morning before I go in. It doesn't strain out the grounds as well as I'd like, so I pour my coffee through a paper towel into my work mug.

I use a blend from the local gourmet store, which is a branch of Surfas. Not a real pricy coffee -- I think it's $10.75 a pound -- but a good, full, rich flavor.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So, today's Gear Patrol dispatch presented this portable espresso system

I thought it seemed interesting and am passing it along.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 months later...

Hario V60 for brighter roasts and the Abid Clever Dripper for deeper, dark roasts. Delish every time.

Of course, the Hario V60 is, by any other name, the same as a Melitta drip filter.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm a big fan of "coffe flavored coffee", my coffee pot just broke and I was wondering what are people using to brew a good cup of coffee or as us New Yorkers say CAWFEE.

Get one of these and you'll never regret it.

I agree, the best for one or two quick cups. I am thinking about getting a coffee maker for making more than that, tho, after all these years, so this is an interesting discussion.

For those who can afford its rather steep price the answer is definitely the Technivorm.

I've gone thru many coffeemakers over the years and I've never had one this good!

Technivorm

built like a tank

Really? The models I looked at Williams Sonoma were hardly what I would consider "built like a tank". Mostly plastic with stainless veneers... wobbly water spigot that felt like it would break if I looked at it wrong.

Technivorm

built like a tank

Really? The models I looked at Williams Sonoma were hardly what I would consider "built like a tank". Mostly plastic with stainless veneers... wobbly water spigot that felt like it would break if I looked at it wrong.

I had an opportunity to try one a year or so ago and was not impressed. In my opinion it is overpriced and hyped a bit too much.

One of my friends, who owns a small bakery and cafe, got one and had several problems with it and returned it. It leaked and sputtered after brewing and the carafe was removed for pouring. The grounds were often not completely wetted and the coffee was weak. It doesn't have an automatic shut off. And worst of all, in his eyes was the fact that the heating plate was so hot that after the coffee in the carafe had been sitting for fifteen minutes or so, it began to taste "burnt" and bitter.

He now has several of these Saeco brewers with burr grinder as he likes to offer his customers a variety of freshly brewed coffees and so far has dedicated the brewers for each type of coffee on offer.

And he has one at home.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Technivorm.

I'll stand by my comments.

Now 3 years old, still works great.

Replaced the glass pot after i broke it (replacement parts are orderable).

I don't really drink coffee that much. The wife can't exist without it. I bought it for her. I have purchased probably a dozen or more coffee makers for her over the years, and this is the first one she hasn't complained about, or wanted to change.

Simplicity can be a plus or a minus, no timer, no automatic shutoff, nothing to fail.

A year ago we added a Nespresso machine - we like it quite a bit as well.

Hario V60 for brighter roasts and the Abid Clever Dripper for deeper, dark roasts. Delish every time.

Of course, the Hario V60 is, by any other name, the same as a Melitta drip filter.

Same concept, but I truly believe that the V60's big aperture allows me to control the process more via grind size, agitation, speed of pour and timing. I've got mine so dialed that I feel like it is an extension of me.

Edited by BennyAdeline (log)

Same concept, but I truly believe that the V60's big aperture allows me to control the process more via grind size, agitation, speed of pour and timing. I've got mine so dialed that I feel like it is an extension of me.

Hopefully, you have the Hario Buono kettle and are using Hario filters as well.

More importantly than any of those 3 though, are good water and good coffee, freshly ground. And I'll stack my Melitta drip and Capresso water kettle against the Hario any time.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hopefully, you have the Hario Buono kettle and are using Hario filters as well.

More importantly than any of those 3 though, are good water and good coffee, freshly ground. And I'll stack my Melitta drip and Capresso water kettle against the Hario any time.

I bought them all in one shot to replace my clever dripper.

I agree on the water and coffee. I use filtered water only and buy my beans weekly from a local roaster. 12 days is the max I will go from roasting to brewing. I grind no more than 15-30 seconds before I start dripping for my bloom.

Looks Like I am going to have to fly out to NYC for an east coast vs west coast throw-down. Pick your beans wisely.

In all honesty I've had amazing cups from the Melitta and most other manual brewers. It seems to really be a matter of personal taste and style. I'm just glad we got past the Clover phase.

• 1 month later...

Today's Gear Patrol email included this Propane Coffeemaker by Coleman.

Just the thing for the coffee fan(atic) who can't cope with instant or "campfire" coffee.

Somewhat pricey but I do know a few folks who would use it early and often.