• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover caramels...

Badiane

I made some caramels at Christmas that turned out too hard because I got distracted, so I reboiled them with some cream, and then they were to soft. So there they sit, on a covered pan, oozing accusations at me every time I walk by.

Does anyone have any ideas for using this 9x13 nightmare? I am still awash in caramel pretzels, and don't want caramel sauce or anything like that. I'm thinking some kind of baked good that I can take to the office, maybe?

Chime in with your ideas!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Why don't you use some caramel as a layer in a bar/slice/squares recipe... I made a caramel apple bar that was pretty sweet, but very tasty! I think even if the caramel stayed gooey it would sit ok amongst the apple, and it may firm up in the baking process.

I think I based mine on this recipe ; http://www.yumsugar.com/555065#comments (i can't actually see where the recipe is there but theres a 'print recipe' link which might work).

I made the crust of mine a bit crunchier and more interesting by adding some pumpkin seeds and using part wholemeal flour, which worked well against the straightforward (but delicious!) apple and caramel parts.

Caramel apple cake, Chocolate Caramel bars, Chocolate cake with caramel glaze, Cheesecake with caramel sauce or glaze...

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

A ridiculously rich cake. Chocolate cake base with fudge frosting, caramel, and pecans as filling, fudge frosting outside, and a little more caramel and pecan pieces on top.

Dangerously good!!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I froze a bunch of caramel experiments by plopping dollops on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Little did I know that caramel doesn't get hard! So don't bother with the little dollops - put the lot in a container and scoop directly from the freezer as needed.

• 10 years later...