• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Owl, Hearth or Country?

davidbdesilva

NY egulleters, I am coming up from Philly to your fair city for Valentine's Day and need help deciding where to eat before a show at the Jazz Standard (but closeness to that venue is not really of importance). I KNOW there are people who hate hate hate when somone makes multiple reservation but alas, that is what I've done. I plan on canceling two of them ASAP after your input.

My reservation at Little Owl was made after dialing for 30 minutes straight at 10 am one month in advance and all they had left was 5:15 and 10:00! (I took the former). They'll be doing a $75 multicourse dinner as well as their regular menu (a nice option I think). Hearth and Country have not decided what they'll be doing for that evening. So my question is, which restaurant should I take my wife to? I am leaning toward Little Owl, followed by Hearth, but Country looks very pretty. Give me your opinions please and thank you!

EDIT: Just found out that the formal dining room of Country is closed and that the Cafe isn't worth it. So that leaves two: Little Owl or Heath???

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Little Owl is a neighborhood restaurant that happens to be in a great location, have a cozy vibe, and good food. But it's not impressive food, per se, and I thought their famous pork chop was overcooked and bland.

Hearth is more ambitious and like a "Craft"-light, but not in a bad way. I would choose Hearth. It's also more spacious and comfortable.

If you are interested in desserts, Hearth definitely has a stronger dessert program whereas dessert is more of an afterthought at Little Owl.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

the little owl would be my choice but not at 5:15. you really can't go wrong with either menus so it's more about the atmosphere, the reservation time and the cuisine you prefer. if you're not a fan of cramped dining rooms and looking for a more refined dining experience, go with hearth. but if you prefer casual and cozy, go with little owl.

I would prefer Little Owl myself because the food is generally good, the staff are friendly to me at least, and I always leave full and satisfied. I've had some bad things in the past, but they haven't taken away from my positive experiences there. But for Valentine's Day... I don't know that place is cramped like others have said. I only ever sit at the bar I run away from tables like the plague.

Hearth is also a good choice, but I always feel swindled a bit. It just seems like a bit too much money for the food. A lot of things have tasted great, but the price for some of those things are trapped in my head. If thats not an issue then that could be the place for you. And while I don't necessarily think Hearth has better tasting food than Little Owl it has more notable things on the menu like Pumpkin Tortelli or some olive oil poached fish.

Another place I would have recommended was Allen & Delancey for Valentine's Day. But the chef left some time ago and I haven't been since so I don't know if the quality is still the same. The desserts were delicious, the bread was baked to order, the place was dark and cozy, and some of the dishes were outstanding like the lamb or duck.

Hope this helps. I don't go out on Valentine's Day anymore after too many disasters. I celebrate it a couple days before or even a week later.

Thanks everyone, your opinions help a lot. From looking at their websites I tend to prefer the decor and location of Little Owl. Something about the decor at Hearth looks too rigid and clean to me, but that's not what I choose a restaurant based on. And, just to let you know, I ALWAYS do Valentine's Day dinner with my wife a few days before or after but this year she said "Valentine's Day in NYC would be really nice." Lets hope so. I did consider Allen & Delancy but I too am hesitant since the chef left.

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Hearth is the superior restaurant, by a fairly wide margin. The idea of a romantic meal at the Little Owl seems almost incongruous. That's not to say I dislike the place; quite the contrary. It just doesn't strike me as that type of restaurant. Tables are small and close together, and service is designed for fairly quick turnover.

The formal dining room at Country is indeed closed, but we actually went there twice on past Valentine's Days. They actually did a very good job...which was what prompted us to return. However, it was a much more expensive place than either Hearth or the Little Owl. I agree that the Café should not be bothered with.

I agree with oakapple. If you're looking for intimacy, Little Owl isn't it.

The back room near the pass at Hearth contains a number of tables that would seem to be the perfect fit for what you're looking for.

Here are pix from a dinner several months ago at Hearth. By the by, this was a six course chef's tasting (not including dessert amuse and dessert) for $150. Yes there were wines. I think you can guess what my answer's going to be. :raz:

gallery_1890_1967_54879.jpg

Big Eye tuna, honshimejji mushrooms, capers, vitello tonnato sauce

gallery_1890_1967_215670.jpg

Seared scallop, hen of the woods mushrooms, parsnip puree, caviar viniagrette

gallery_1890_1967_68710.jpg

Sweetbreads, pickled cauliflower, shallot marmalade

gallery_1890_1967_158122.jpg

Lamb pappardelle, tomato concasse, picholine olives, black truffles

gallery_1890_1967_93592.jpg

gallery_1890_1967_185575.jpg

Pork tenderloin, lentil ragout, winter root vegetables

gallery_1890_1967_168055.jpg