• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food exhibitions and wholesalers

Megan Blocker

Hey, guys! I'm hoping the good people of the Kitchen Consumer forum can help me help my Aunt Cathi.

She's thinking of opening a specialty foods shop, either in Dallas or in Rhode Island (she splits her time between the two), and is a newbie to the business. She's curious as to where to start sourcing products - any thoughts about industry exhibitions or shows she could attend to start building relationships and exploring possibilities?

Obviously, things in the Southwest or Northeast would be the most convenient, but she'd love to hear any ideas you all have!

Many thanks in advance.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

if she can wait that long she should go to the NYC Fancy Food Show and she'll have more options than she knows what to do with. The summer Chicago salt was cancelled this year. If she can't wait, then subscribe to the two free magazines - Specialty Food Retailer and Gourmet Retailer. There's a couple of smaller mags that are good also.