• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fondue

Marmish

We are having dinner at a friend's house and are cooking "together" The men decided on the menu and chose fondue. We are providing the cheese and dessert. They are providing the dippers and appetizer/salad.

Here's the problem. The husband does not drink any alcohol due to past issues. I didn't think about that when they decided on fondue, thinking in my mind I would do a classic Emmenthaler/Gruyere one.

Can I substitute some other liquid for the wine? Is there another way to go?

edited to add the wife is a vegetarian.

Edited by Marmish (log)

I would just use apple or white grape juice myself....a little flavor and a little acid is all you need

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We took ingredients for both a traditional fondue and one with apple juice, cheddar and swiss that I found on allrecipes.com and left the decision up to the other couple as to which one to make. They said either was fine and we ended up with the traditional one. Thanks for the input.