• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mizu

richl2214

Mizu is the new operation in the spot previously run as Sukeroku in Little Falls. The new owners shaped up the bar, seating and sushi bar. Now Sukeroku was around for a long time. I've been going there myself for over 15yrs and it always served great fish. They were around when sushi was still unknown to most(like Dai-Kichi), before the nouveau sushi places of Montclair popped up like mushrooms. So I was a little skeptical.

I can say with reckless abandon that Mizu has trumped them all in the immediate area including that "nouveau" place. Presentation, and freshness are the highlight.

Light sweet scallop sashimi, yellowtail chutoro, baby yellowtail, etc. Some of the best octopus and uni I have had.

The rolls were also executed very well, #68 roll (sweet basil/soft shell crab/jalapeno/parmesan topped w/spicy tuna & uta sauce) was excellent nd the spider roll was definitely the best I have had in NJ. My wife had the Sunset Blvd roll(crunchy spicy tuna/salmon/yellowtail avacado wrapped in soy paper and inplum sauce) which was ok but tasted a bit starchy and the Angry Dragonroll (shrimp tempura, papaya, spicy tuna, topped king crab in orange edamame sauce) which was phenomenal.

This place is a must try for the sushi fan. Nice reasonably price sake list too from $12-22/btl.

Mizu

68 Newark Pompton Tpk

Little Falls, NJ 07424

973-785-8199

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I dunno, it's going to be a hard sell for quality sushi with Tomo two or three blocks away.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

We passed Tomo on the way home from Mizu. Mizu was crowded and Tomo was empty. We ate at Tomo once and frankly , I found it to be too authentically Japanese. The food was too austere and too plain for my taste. I think Americans like the crazy rolls and combinations that are probably not for purists.

Also, the atmosphere at Tomo is dreary. Mizu is lively and very pretty.

I understand why some would prefer Tomo, but if it is a competition, I think that most people would prefer to eat at Mizu.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Tomo too. Right down the street from me. Had a great meal there last night and his stuff is as fresh as it gets.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

We tried Mizu for the first time Friday night. Definitely a cut above all the other sushi places in the area. We tried the Pumpkin Seafood Soup which was delicious & very different. We sampled three rolls: Twin Roll, Sunset Roll, & Angry Dragon Roll - all were very good, but the Angry Dragon was amazing.

There was about a 15 minute wait when we arrived. The host took our name and then suggested we have a drink at the bar. We would have loved a drink at the bar, however, there are only about 7-8 seats (all were full). So we stood behind some of the seats trying (desperately) to get the bartender's attention - no luck. She was totally overwhelmed. Finally two people got up & we took their seats. Now, we thought, we'll get a drink. Not so fast. It took at least 10 minutes for the bartender to acknowledge us and then it was to say "I'll be with you in a few minutes." Luckily, our table was ready so we left the bar. That area needs some major work.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

• 3 months later...