• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaging chocolates

Aza

Given that the packing and shipping has been covered nearly ad nauseum, I should probably thank everyone for clicking on this one anyway. :wink: I searched and found quite a lot on temperature and the like, but nothing on this specifically.

I've been planning to ship chocolates to some friends for quite some time now. The chocolates/candy are finally done, and I had purchased some very nice boxes, inserts, and cups to ship them safely halfway around the country.

They don't fit. :rolleyes: Oops!! A few flavors of truffles were slightly (ha!) oversized and won't fit in the trays. I'd resigned myself to the 3-4 hr round trip to pick up appropriate sized ones this weekend but had a thought based on something someone here had mentioned regarding taking them on an airplane. I forget who it was, but here's the thought- would it be possible to vaccuum seal them and layer the packages with bubble wrap and peanuts? Lovely boxes would be nice, but not only to the recipients not care what they look like, they're beginning to get anxious- and I've already spent quite a lot on the endeavour so far so if I can avoid the trip to Ft Wayne...

Has anyone else done this? Do you think that the bags would leave stinky plasticness all over my hard work?

Any and all input is welcome! Alternative ideas as well. :biggrin: Thanks!

I vacuum sealed some chocolates and took them on an airplane. The problem I had was with the liquid caramels - any little bubbles inside the chocolate expanded and contracted and it caused the chocolates to leak. As I recall the more solid centers did OK.

I have taken molded filled chocolates with me on planes quite a few times and had no problems. I don't use box inserts, but just candy cups so that the chocolates don't rub against each other. I pack them as tightly as possible in the box so that there isn't room to shift around. I put pads above and below the chocolates. I wrap the box in bubble wrap. I've both carried them on the plane and packed them in checked luggage (between lots of clothes). Both methods have worked perfectly well and I've had no damage. I ship boxes of chocolates packed like this 2 day mail quite frequently and have had no damage from that either. The only problem that I have ever had is with hollow molded figures like Easter bunnies or chocolate Santas. I haven't yet figured out a way to carry them safely on a plane or ship them without some breakage.

I have taken molded filled chocolates with me on planes quite a few times and had no problems.  I don't use box inserts, but just candy cups so that the chocolates don't rub against each other.  I pack them as tightly as possible in the box so that there isn't room to shift around.  I put pads above and below the chocolates.  I wrap the box in bubble wrap.  I've both carried them on the plane and packed them in checked luggage (between lots of clothes).  Both methods have worked perfectly well and I've had no damage.  I ship boxes of chocolates packed like this 2 day mail quite frequently and have had no damage from that either.  The only problem that I have ever had is with hollow molded figures like Easter bunnies or chocolate Santas.  I haven't yet figured out a way to carry them safely on a plane or ship them without some breakage.

Ditto (with the exception that I haven't done any hollow figures).

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have taken molded filled chocolates with me on planes quite a few times and had no problems.  I don't use box inserts, but just candy cups so that the chocolates don't rub against each other.  I pack them as tightly as possible in the box so that there isn't room to shift around.  I put pads above and below the chocolates.  I wrap the box in bubble wrap.  I've both carried them on the plane and packed them in checked luggage (between lots of clothes).  Both methods have worked perfectly well and I've had no damage.  I ship boxes of chocolates packed like this 2 day mail quite frequently and have had no damage from that either.  The only problem that I have ever had is with hollow molded figures like Easter bunnies or chocolate Santas.  I haven't yet figured out a way to carry them safely on a plane or ship them without some breakage.

I have - put them back in their molds for transport.

Ahh, and even a bonus answer the other question haunting me- whether I could ship and risk 2 day delivery vs. needing to overnight! Thank you! :biggrin: The shipment to Mesa, AZ will be overnighted, but the 2 to NY would need not. Excellent!!

Sounds like the bigger truffles will be ok in vac pac- Kerry, did you notice any flavor transfer to the chocolates? I'll plan to layer those in the box and use the pretty packaging for the rest. :)

Thank you all for the help!! The day has been saved, and I have the weekend to make more stuff. :raz:

Ahh, and even a bonus answer the other question haunting me- whether I could ship and risk 2 day delivery vs. needing to overnight! Thank you!  :biggrin:  The shipment to Mesa, AZ will be overnighted, but the 2 to NY would need not. Excellent!!

Sounds like the bigger truffles will be ok in vac pac- Kerry, did you notice any flavor transfer to the chocolates? I'll plan to layer those in the box and use the pretty packaging for the rest. :)

Thank you all for the help!! The day has been saved, and I have the weekend to make more stuff.  :raz:

None of the stuff I took along would have been a big problem with flavour transfer (ie mint) - so no.

Ahh, and even a bonus answer the other question haunting me- whether I could ship and risk 2 day delivery vs. needing to overnight! Thank you!  :biggrin:  The shipment to Mesa, AZ will be overnighted, but the 2 to NY would need not. Excellent!!

Thank you all for the help!! The day has been saved, and I have the weekend to make more stuff.  :raz:

I always ship USPS 2 day priority mail. I've shipped from the East Coast to the Midwest, Colorado and California and had no problems. I don't ship anything between late May and September, though. Too much risk of heat somewhere along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's difficult to ship chocolates from coast to coast, because the planes have to fly above the Rockies, the change in air pressure causes damage to the fragile chocolate shells. Supposedly this is why Mrs. See's has production facilities on both sides of the mountain range.

Of course, someone could have just been playing with my extreme gullability

I shipped two to NY UPS 2nd day, 1 to Mesa, AZ and one to Knoxville, TN- the last 2 via priority mail.

Everything but the toffee was completely unharmed- I'll box that bag next time. I really appreciate all of the advice!! I got some crazy phone calls when it arrived, everyone loved the goodies. Good candy boxes, candy pads, and bubble wrap. I'm actually looking forward to summer shipping to get it working too.