• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Powders & Extracts?

Blondelle

I see so many recipes that use wine that I pass by as I don't want to buy a whole bottle to use a 1/2 cup or so. I was thinking that the flavor of white and red should be in some sort of extract that you could add to the dish to give it that flavor.

Doing a search on the net I see there are such products but they are mainly used by processed food producers. Has anyone found a smaller quantity source for these, and are they worth using? I'm not interested if it's something akin to cooking wine. I see they are offered in extract and powdered form. It looks interesting and would let me try more recipes if the taste is decent. Thanks!

Many times, you want to use wine in a recipe not only for the flavor, but also for it's acidity - so, I wonder if the powders or extracts would deliver that, or if you'd need to modify the recipe to add it in another way...

not exactly powder but I find that dry vermouth makes a good substitute for white wine in many dishes and a bottle for cooking in the fridge lasts a long time. Although you could just drink the rest of the wine bottle at dinner. Thats my plan tonight.

Professional Scientist (in training)

Amateur Cook

Frozen wine works just fine in cooked dishes. If I have a small amount, I freeze it in ice cube trays - a cube or two works great to deglaze a pan for a pan sauce. Otherwise, I freeze in 1 cup containers.

I sometimes use the individual sized bottles (187ml) of wine - I know that the brands aren't premium, but they work fine when I don't have any frozen, or don't want to open a bottle.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”