• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's drinking well in 2009

GordonCooks

One of resolutions this year was to become a little more conscientious with my tasting notes

First bottle night of 2009 - Jan 15

2004 Jermann Vintage Tunina

2005 Markus Molitor Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

2006 Zind Humbrecht Gerwurtztraminer Alsace Gueberschwihr

2006 Kongsgaard Chardonnay

2004 Beaux Freres “The Beaux Freres”

1999 DRC Vosne Romanee Cuvee Duvault Blochet

2002 Penfolds RWT

1985 Grgich Hills Cabernet

1986 Chateau Montelena 1.5

2005 Glaetzer Amon-Ra

1994 Croft Port

The Jermann was rather inocous, good but not at it’s price point

The Markus Molitor was thick and sweet with nice acidity

The Z-H was a little thin but more floral and acidic

The Kongsgaard was all toasted oak and toffee

The Beaux Freres – typical raspberries and velvety texture

The DRC must have changed 3-4 times over the course of the evening. Nutmeg, star anise, mushroom, etc. It’s nuances are beyond my level of understanding.

The Penfolds was drinking well, juicy but not over the top.

The Grgich was tired

The Montelena was youthful in nose and color but a little thin and green on the palate

The Amon Ra seemed huge but probably due to the company is was compared with

The Croft was prime, deep purple with no bricking, excellent nose and balanced on the tongue. Probably better the next day.

Any thoughts on when a '96 Lynch-Bages might be coming into its glory-days? I tasted it a few years ago and it was very tight.

We did some note comparison a while back for valuation purposes. Although not tasted personally, the range was widely varied. I can only attribute it to bottle variance and provenance. All tasted after a restful decant - from typical leather, earth, spice and cassis to good but thin to overt brett.