• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lollipop help

bluechefk

hi all -

i'd like to start experimenting with making my own lollipops. am following a recipe that uses as it's base:

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup corn syrup

1/2 cup water

this recipe calls for using 1 tsp. of flavoring, but i think that it refers to extracts that you would commonly buy at the grocery store. i have, and planned to use, some more highly concentrated flavors - mostly from lorann - and am pretty sure that if i used a whole tsp. of one of those, i would be making Overkill Pops!! :shock: i also have several bottles of pandan extract in my pantry, and am wondering if those would make an interesting lollipop or not.

can anyone offer any advice re: the right amount of flavoring to use when making lollipops?

thank you!

I haven't heard of Lorann before but most flavourings have a recommended dosage that you could use as a rough guide don't they? I took a quick look for Lorann's website and couldn't find a suggested dosage but they did have some recipes which should give you a pretty good idea:

Lorann

I've always used a bottle of the Lorann, the smaller ones. I think they're 1 dram bottles. I'll double check my recipe when I get home, but if memory serves, it's about double what yours is. I seem to remember 3/4c corn syrup and 1c water.

That said, double-flavored batches went over FAR better than the singles simply because the flavors really came through. We've done as many as 20 different flavors in a day- so the more common Lorann flavors and combinations you'll come up with do well with one, but were generally better with 2.

(eta: FINALLY a question I have some experience with!! :wink: )

Edited by Aza (log)

I have made a lot of children's lollipops over the last few months, and used LorAnn extracts to flavor them. I have never measured the amount used, but just a few drops will be enough to flavor 1 cup of sugar plus 1/2 cup of corn syrup. And never stand over the container when you put the flavoring in!!! :raz:

LorAnn provides a very simple microwave hard candy recipe which I have used a lot of the time. Like falling off a log easy.

I also purchased some wonderful sucker molds from a place in Utah, Sweet Creations.

My next project is to decorate the lollipops using Royal icing.

Good luck.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Got home to find my book open to that page, my pdf recipe was opposite it. :smile: We use this recipe for hard candy and have always made lollipops from it as well:

1c water

1c sugar

3/4c corn syrup

I found the oils on the Lorann page here: https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-streng...candy-oils.aspx Until the last few years, we used a 1 dram bottle per unless we were doing flavor combos- cherry cheesecake, caramel apple, etc. As I mentioned, we've migrated toward double-strength batches after a long day and several 'extra' bottles of flavoring. :blush: Those were the batches that received the best reviews.

We also traditionally do a triple-strength batch of cinnamon, but it's more oil than will incorporate into the syrup which means it soaks into the confectioner's sugar- yum!

thanks very much for all of the advice!

i like the idea of strongly flavored lollipops, so will give the 2-dram recipe a try. aza - am i right in assuming that you use 2 drams with the recipe you gave me (1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup syrup)? just making sure i have that clear :-)