• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okonomiyaki

Veghead

There's a place on Dunbar too - just south of 16th. The name escapes me at the moment.

eta: it's the Modern Club on Dunbar near 19th. I haven't been there for a very long time. FWIW, the recent reviews on dinehere.ca aren't so good, and report a recent change in ownership.

Edited by run2eat (log)

We used to go to Modern Club a fair bit but finally gave up because of the ridiculously long waits for food.

The okonomyaki at the Clubhouse is a bit too thick for my taste but nice and noodly, and very filling -- two people could share one.

I haven't tried it at the Eatery, Zipang (thanks for the tip, twinkienic) or Guu so can't comment. The only other place I've tried it was at Sai-Z. It was good but of the noodle-free variety.

The best okonomyaki I've had in Vancouver was courtesy of a Japanese group I belong to. We got together one summer evening and made our own. It's not that hard...

Last time I was at Modern Club, the place was full of oily smoke and my okonomiyaki was charred.

In addition to the suggestions above, I've seen okonomiyaki on the menu at Zipang sushi... but haven't tried it.

We used to go to Modern Club a fair bit but finally gave up because of the ridiculously long waits for food.

The okonomyaki at the Clubhouse is a bit too thick for my taste but nice and noodly, and very filling -- two people could share one.

I haven't tried it at the Eatery, Zipang (thanks for the tip, twinkienic) or Guu so can't comment. The only other place I've tried it was at Sai-Z. It was good but of the noodle-free variety.

Okonomiyaki should be noodle-free. If it's topped with yakisoba, then it's called something else (in Kansai it's called modern-yaki).

The best okonomyaki I've had in Vancouver was courtesy of a Japanese group I belong to. We got together one summer evening and made our own. It's not that hard...

I agree with grayelf - if you buy some okonomiyaki mix (I like the version with yamaimo, which is Japanese yam) at Konbiniya or Fujiya and make it yourself, it'll be better than anything you find in Vancouver at the moment. I really don't understand why no restaurants can get it right when it's so easy to make.

Modern Club's okonomiyaki was a huge disappointment when I tried it a couple of years ago. The Guus make a passable version, but it's not nearly as good as you'll find in Japan. I think we'll need to see a dedicated okonomiyaki-ya in Vancouver before we can get something closer to the true Kansai version. Maybe the Japadog folks can take on that project!

Or maybe Chibo will open a location here...

Chibo menu

Edited by Kentan (log)

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato