• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Masters

Chris Hennes

I just ran across this tidbit over at Eater.com:

The details are scarce but here's their brief description:

"A spin-off of the Emmy-nominated hit series "Top Chef" and from producers Magical Elves, "Top Chef: Masters" unites some of the brightest stars in the world of food, award-winning, widely-renowned Chefs who will compete against each other in a series of weekly challenges."

It will all depend on the caliber of the chefs they manage to convince to compete, but if this is Bravo's take on Iron Chef-style competition, I'm watching. I hope they make the challenges compelling...

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I didn't watch "Chopped" (is that the one you are talking about?) but my hope for this Bravo show is that they have weird challenges and random "twists" that I think make Top Chef more fun than just a regular cooking show. I like seeing how chefs work when they are faced with that type of situation. A "mystery ingredient" or "mystery basket" is still just a single type of constraint, I like the idea of playing with other things for the chef to deal with.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I marvel that any chef puts himself in a position for public humiliation, even no-name/baby chefs like the TC group. For a chef with a known name to expose him/herself and reputation to the televised judgements of schmucks like Toby the Brit would be deeply stupid.

When you look at the money (100k) vs. the reputation risk, TC hardly seems worth it even to the junior chefs who make up most of the contestants.

I think this sounds interesting. I always thought it would be interesting to see what Colicchio and others at his level would do in Top Chef-type challenges. This is different than Iron Chef.

Is that what happened on the Next Iron Chef series?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 2 months later...

*THAT* is one stellar line-up !

I cannot wait for this, it should be loads of fun, with REAL cooking (fingers crossed) and out-of-the-park creativity.

I am very impressed that Bravo could get such heavy hitters to participate.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

*I am very impressed that Bravo could get such heavy hitters to participate.

A lot of them judged or were on Iron Chef.

Some were judges on Top Chef too.

Aside from Iron Chef and Chopped there really isn't anything for them on Food Network.

I'm excited!

True and true........especially about the lack of an outlet for chefs of this caliber on FN. Most of them are to high-powered for Chopped, I think. That's more for the newbies, IMO.

And most of these chef-testants are *very* media-savvy, and probably looking for the additional exposure this will bring them. Maybe snag a PBS gig......

Nevertheless, this is going to be a blast. Good on them for finding an outlet and good on Bravo for giving it to them !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

WOW!!

I cannot wait!!!!

I have to start planning my menu for those nights now!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 1 month later...
I'm really looking forward to this one.  I had a chance to meet Michael Chiarello at his restaurant the other week, so I'll be pulling for him.  I'll even open one of his bottles that we brought back...

I am kind of pulling for him too, him and Wylie Dufrresne. I always liked Michael Chirarello's show on food network...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child