• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inauguration Day Home Entertaining

As I sit here in northern Virginia contemplating the chaotic logistical Hell On Earth just a few miles away that will occur in my hometown, Washington, DC, on inauguration day and because we, the unwashed masses of northern Virginia have been virtually banned from entering the city that day, I have decided to host an inaugural day party. Actually we’re not exactly banned however there are all sorts of the restrictions on all movement out of northern Virginia into the city. On that day all access via 395/495 (for those that aren’t familiar with this area those are the local highways/interstates in and out of northern Virginia) will be closed except for emergency vehicles, taxis, buses, limos, etc. No one can actually drive from northern Virginia to DC that day. Of course we can use Metro, but several weeks ago locals were already warned by WMATA, our public transportation system, that they expected to be overwhelmed and were panicked about accommodating the millions of visitors. After doing my own informal poll of those here, most are choosing to avoid the city on inauguration day.

Given all the craziness expected, I’ve decided to stay home and have a get together for the inaugural. I will probably have only few folks over, but I’m already stressing about the menu. I’ve considered all the usual suspects: fajitas, guacamole, salsa, varous dips and chips, etc., etc., etc. I’m asking for your help in this endeavor; not just food but liquid refreshments as well.

Metropolitan-DC locals are you staying home? If so, what’s on your inaugural table? And for everyone else, what are your plans? BTW, my entertainment parameters will be for a casual, help yourself type affair, easy to prepare and hold, not too expensive, but would like something different/unusual from standard party fare and must definitely maximize my time interacting with guests and watching the day’s unfolding events.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I also live in Northern Virginia and decided not to put up with the mess that will be Inauguration Day - so, we are heading to and all inclusive in Punta Cana for the week - Someone else will be doing the cooking and I'll be holding a cold drink in hand while watching the surf ....

We're hosting a pot-luck, the centerpiece of which will be an elitist cassoulet and maybe arugula. In fact, you can probably tell that my peer group is a bunch of leftists just by looking at the vegetarian-heavy menu that appears to appearing organically as the e-mails pass around. I could walk down to the parade if I was feeling masochistic (my wife would finish the beans) but I think I'd rather just sleep in and stay warm. A century or two ago I did the whole thing -- swearing in, "best Restaurant in town" (Jean-Louis), inaugural ball, drinking at a dive bar until 4AM in my tuxedo -- so I feel pretty good about sitting this one out.

Maybe I'll go down for Bruce, though.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I also live in Northern Virginia and decided not to put up with the mess that will be Inauguration Day - so, we are heading to and all inclusive in Punta Cana for the week - Someone else will be doing the cooking and I'll be holding a cold drink in hand while watching the surf ....

I have no idea where Punta Cana is but it sounds wonderful.......... and warm. Please take me with you! :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

We're hosting a pot-luck, the centerpiece of which will be an elitist cassoulet and maybe arugula.  In fact, you can probably tell that my peer group is a bunch of leftists just by looking at the vegetarian-heavy menu that appears to appearing organically as the e-mails pass around.  I could walk down to the parade if I was feeling masochistic (my wife would finish the beans) but I think I'd rather just sleep in and stay warm.  A century or two ago I did the whole thing -- swearing in, "best Restaurant in town" (Jean-Louis), inaugural ball, drinking at a dive bar until 4AM in my tuxedo -- so I feel pretty good about sitting this one out.

Maybe I'll go down for Bruce, though.

Hi Charles. Can't wait to see the entire menu. Your plans sound a lot like most folks I've spoken to around here. I really believe it will be a madhouse in DC that day and unfortunately I've heard that a lot of businesses, in particular restaurants and bars, will be adversely affected with the authorities either telling them they have to be closed that day or that there will be limited foot traffic. Either way, a money losing proposition for them.

Enjoy your potluck. Gee cassoulet and arugula; I am such a peasant. :smile:

I used to live in Maryland (Howard County). I feel for you guys down there, it sounds like it's going to be a mad house. But still, really cool too.

You could try doing some sort of theme foods. Someone upthread mentioned arugula, that's de rigeur. Another idea would be something very American (apple pie, barbecue, burgers, etc.) and then something very Kenyan. I have no idea what that would be but I'm sure Mr. Google could help you find something.

I'll be watching on TV from Brooklyn. A friend has some unopened Champagne left from New Year's so we'll eat something that goes with that. Hmm, maybe sushi? That goes well with Champagne and it's pretty "elitist" too :wink:

Have a great party.

purplechick

"No verse can give pleasure for long, nor last, that is written by

water drinkers." --Cratinus, 5th Century BCE, Athens

Our party here in Seattle (far far from the maddening crowd) will also be fairly casual, but with some appropriately themed treats.

Because they're local AND we know that the Obamas like them we'll be enjoying Fran's Salted Caramels (yumm)

Of course there will be arugula - if it's wrapped in prosciutto with some pomegranate glaze it should be elitist enough for anybody :biggrin:

Cribbed from a local bookstore there will also be "campaign trail mix".

Purplechick I like your suggestion of something Kenyan, I will look into that, and am considering Mr. Obama's chili recipe as an easy "leave the crock pot on low & people can serve themselves" dish.

I'm leaning towards Martha Washington's Rum Punch, and of course we'll be imbibing a lot of sparkling beverages!

I feel like we're neglecting Mr. Biden, but a Pot Pie is nust not a good party food...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...