• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Astier - a good idea?

juniorworm

My wife and I are coming to Paris from 25 February through 3 March. Several friends have recommended that we try Astier, but in reading about the place, the comments are decidedly mixed. It seems it can be a bit overrun and that also the celebrated cheese platter may not contain such excellent specimens. But some people still have great experiences, especially when they sit downstairs. I would like to go there as it's been so talked about among my colleagues and I would hate to spurn their recommendations, but I also don't want to squander any precious meals. Has anyone been recently?

As an aside, we are planning on visiting what seem to be some consistent moderately priced bistro favorites, including:

La Regalade

Racine

Chez L'Ami Jean

Itinéraires

le Jeu de Quilles [lunch only I understand]

la Fontaine de Mars [for Sunday dinner]

Chez Denise

Ledoyen

Le Pamphlet

Any reason not to visit these places, or any clear better alternatives?

Thanks!

Michael

I'm one who has already weighed in on the subject but to repeat, I had a great first (after the redo in 2006) meal and a so-so second one. My memory is so bad that I cannot recall the pre-2006 cheese-board but in 2006 it was fine.

As for:

La Regalade (spotty)

Racines (yes to the one in the 2nd not the 6th)

Chez L'Ami Jean (quintessential but crowded)

Itinéraires (very spotty)

le Jeu de Quilles [lunch only I understand] (correct, nice)

la Fontaine de Mars [for Sunday dinner] (not for years)

Chez Denise (OK)

Ledoyen (not for decades)

Le Pamphlet (not to my taste but I'm an outlier).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

la Fontaine de Mars [for Sunday dinner] (not for years)

La Fontaine de Mars - Disneyworld meets Paris bistro. Perfect if that is what you want. Far too many English speaking families with whinging kids who don't like most of the menu for my taste.

I second most of Johns other comments, my last meal at Le Regalade was disappointing, good food ruined by dire service, service suffering as they tried to turn tables three times in the evening.

Itineraires was poor when I went in the summer, however recent reports lead me to believe it is now firing on all cylinders - it would be interesting to hear more up to date opinions.

Edited by PhilD (log)

Thank for the feedback! I'll keep Astier on the list but I definitely don't want Disneyland. I'm thinking about another one of John's picks - Le Gaigne - although from their website it looks like prices have gone up considerably from the 22/menu days. Is that still a good bet? Overall, we are interested in what I think is being called bistronomique places but also traditional good value bistros.

Thank for the feedback! I'll keep Astier on the list but I definitely don't want Disneyland. I'm thinking about another one of John's picks - Le Gaigne - although from their website it looks like prices have gone up considerably from the 22/menu days. Is that still a good bet? Overall, we are interested in what I think is being called bistronomique places but also traditional good value bistros.

The 22 E menu holds at lunch and while it's true that a la carte is more (Colette's palombe was 24 E); our total 10 days ago was 68 E.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris