• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffles

Chef Blumenthal --

Hi; it's me again. :laugh: I have not eaten at The Fat Duck during the period when white and black truffles (at least the conventional ones) have been in season. Do you use such truffles to a significant extent in dishes? If so, please provide some examples and discuss how you chose the ingredients that accompanied the truffles.

Separately (and apologies for my lack of understanding of molecular gastronomy), when an ingredient is largely defined by its aromas, have there been MG analyses on (1) how aromas interact with one another and with tastes sampled not as aromas (e.g., in the mouth), (2) how airborne materials dissipate more or less quickly than items that are in solid, liquid or other forms, and (3) how strong smell can be relative to "mouth" taste.

Finally (and apologies if I am misstating another memer's circumstances), there is a member, apart from Matthew Grant, who has previously articulated an interest in observing/working in UK kitchens. If, say, "blind lemon higgins" and/or I also had some free time and also wanted to spend time in your kitchens, could you accommodate him and/or me? :laugh:

Hello again Cabrales,

I am in a hurry as I have got to get in to the kitchen but your question is a great one that needs time to answer and discuss.

As tonight is my cut off day for answering these questions, perhaps it would be an idea for you and "blind lemon higgins" to spend some time in the kitchen we can then discuss this further.

Give us a call at the restaurant over the next week or so to sort out some dates.

See you

Heston Blumenthal

The Fat Duck

The Fat Duck website