• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Chinese Food

Utenya

I live in the U.S. and have worked in HK for a year three years ago. I would say food over there is very different from those in the U.S. There are more varieties in terms of cooking and ingredients. The sauce tastes more authentic, as in they don't taste like they are from from a bottle or something, but from real ingredients.

By the way, I am sure a lot of people know about this, I knew it before going to Asia too - fortune cookies originated from U.S. (I heard San Francisco) and they don't exist in Asia.

By the way, I am sure a lot of people know about this, I knew it before going to Asia too - fortune cookies originated from U.S. (I heard San Francisco) and they don't exist in Asia.

They're based on a Japanese cookie, so yes, they do exist in Asia. I meant to search for the cookie place when I was last at Fushimi Inari, but I forgot. Maybe next time.

Do they have fortune cookies in other parts of the West?

In Ireland at least, generally no, although they're starting to creep in. The standard US-style cardboard take-out box is relatively new to these shores as well, and not used in most establishments.

• 1 month later...

An interesting thing i've witnessed in the last few years is a massive increase in dumpling popularity in Melbourne. Probably driven in part by the international students living in the CBD, but they are gaining popularity with everyone really. I even meet my parents for jiaozi sometimes, and they're about as anglo as you can get.