• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2009

weinoo

Not sure what time you were there but, as it turns out, I took off work Wed. for some NYC culture. The matinee off Broadway ("The Understudy") that my wife & I went to had no intermission, so we found ourselves in the Village at 5pm. A perfect time to snag two seats at Lupa's bar and eat an early dinner, so there we were till 7 or so. We'd never gotten around to trying this place and now regret it. Being regulars at Otto, we know that we usually like the veggies offered, so we figured Lupa would be similarly good. We got the beets with pistachios & broccoli rabe, plus the marinated olives. All very good, and fresh bread from the oven to boot. Glasses of Aglianico for Ginny, Tocai for me. Then pastas: I had the carbonara, she a special tagliatelle with pork and tomato ragu. Both a little salty but we'd heard that they probably would be but knew that we wouldnt mind at all... both were excellent. A couple of espressos while sharing a tartufo (nice version) and we were set. By the time we left, it was 3 deep at the bar and people waiting outside in the cold (just a few stupid ones). We liked this place a lot... glad we branched out from our usual seats at Otto's bar, but we were there last week so Dennis & Frank wont miss us too much. Glad you liked it as well. Aloha.

Not sure what time you were there but, as it turns out, I took off work Wed. for some NYC culture.

We went to the matinee of Billy Elliot and went after. We arrived a bit early for our res of 5:45. GG stayed by the podium, she was the blacked haired Hawaiian beauty waiting, while Sean and I went for a walk and returned at our res time.

We were right there when you were, too bad we didn't know each other would be.

Great minds........ :smile:

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb