• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2009

weinoo

B: Eat somewhere else before your show at Birdland. Nothing wrong with an occasional 7 P.M. dinner.

This is an interesting sidelight.

If I'm eating before (rather than after) a performance, I always strongly prefer to do so in the neighborhood of the performance, so I don't have to travel there. There's too much angst in needing to get a cab on time (and not getting caught in unexpected traffic) when you're on a tight schedule. (This is one of the many reasons why I hate to eat before rather than after things.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

While it's not Murray Hill, you also might be close enough to see if you can grab a couple of seats at the bar at the newly opened Maialino.

Re: grabbing seats at the bar at Maialino.

THEY DO NOT SERVE THE FULL MENU AT THE BAR AT MAIALINO. THEY SERVE A BAR MENU. NO ONE I KNOW WHO HAS HAD THE BAR MENU THINKS VERY MUCH OF IT.

(We all must collectively insist on this being changed.)

While it's not Murray Hill, you also might be close enough to see if you can grab a couple of seats at the bar at the newly opened Maialino.

THEY DO NOT SERVE THE FULL MENU AT THE BAR AT MAIALINO. THEY SERVE A BAR MENU. NO ONE I KNOW WHO HAS HAD THE BAR MENU THINKS VERY MUCH OF IT.

Yeah, it was good for a nibble but not completely satisfying for a real dinner. (NB: they fixed the americano error, so keep talking about it ...)

They do, however, serve the full menu at the bar at Esca, do they not?

Not only do they, but Victor the bartender is one of the great hosts in New York.

The problem with the bar at Esca is that in its current iteration, it's tiny: no more than six seats. (It used to be huge.) So if you walk in during prime time, you can't count on getting seating there.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Thanks once again for replies.

OK - I have a pre theater reservation at Esca for another evening. I could change it but see that only time available before Birdland is 19:30 - feel this is cutting it a bit fine?

Also - for the 'biggest' meal we're doing on our final night - I had booked Jean Georges at 19:30. Wife prefers the look of Daniel having looked at both menus. I can only get the Lounge at Daniel at the moment (and be on waiting list for main room) at 20:30 (or I could get main room but not till 22:30 which is late for me to eat).

What's the thoughts on the lounge at Daniel compared to JG?

One last thing for the moment - wife is doing dance classes at Steps NYC (which is on Broadway at 74th Street). She finishes classes at 14:30 and will be starving. Anywhere decent in that area to grab something at that time?

Thanks again - this forum has been a huge help

Martin

I too like the look of the menu at Daniel better than Jean Georges.

So I hope your wife will believe me when I say that food at Daniel, while sometimes excellent, can be disappointingly uninspired in execution (no matter how good it looks in theory). I like going there -- but only because I live in New York, and so can stand the risk of a so-so meal on a given night here.

Jean Georges is the better restaurant.

Also, if you mean your wife likes the look of the DINING ROOM at Daniel, then eating in the lounge won't give her that look. I eat alone at the bar at Daniel with some frequency, but I wouldn't really recommend the lounge for a dinner a deux. For that I'd hold out for the dining room.

It was just the menu she was looking at but I take on board your comments about the lounge for a dinner for 2. Can I ask what about it would put you off?

Can get JG but only at 17:15pm which is quite early....decisions!!!!

Martin

[...]One last thing for the moment - wife is doing dance classes at Steps NYC (which is on Broadway at 74th Street). She finishes classes at 14:30 and will be starving. Anywhere decent in that area to grab something at that time?

Thanks again - this forum has been a huge help

Martin

I really don't frequently eat in the West 70s, but right near there, on 77th and Broadway, is Big Nick's, a diner where I had a decent, very cheap meal quite a number of years ago. I've been to their 71st and Columbus location more recently and didn't like it, though. Do not consider this a recommendation. I'm just posting in order to inquire from people who may have been to the 77th St. location more recently: Is it decent nowadays, or not?

Michael aka "Pan"

Ok, after the advice on here we are going to go for the earlier dinner at jg. This night - Dec 26th - will be our final night in NYC so want to make a full evening of it. If dining so early will want to go somewhere after it for drinks. I know the jg area has been talked about on thus context before and there isn't considered much there. We have no qualms in jumping in a taxi to go somewhere, so where would you recommend?

Thanks

martin

One last thing for the moment - wife is doing dance classes at Steps NYC (which is on Broadway at 74th Street). She finishes classes at 14:30 and will be starving. Anywhere decent in that area to grab something at that time?

Martin

Yes - Salumeria Rossi, right on 74th and Amsterdam (so a block away). Perfect timing for that place, and some quite delicious food.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah, it was good for a nibble but not completely satisfying for a real dinner. (NB: they fixed the americano error, so keep talking about it ...)

I thought the bar menu looked quite fab...and am looking forward to giving more of it a try.

But yes, offer the whole damn menu at the bar - how hard is that?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Ok, after the advice on here we are going to go for the earlier dinner at jg. This night - Dec 26th - will be our final night in NYC so want to make a full evening of it. If dining so early will want to go somewhere after it for drinks. I know the jg area has been talked about on thus context before and there isn't considered much there. We have no qualms in jumping in a taxi to go somewhere, so where would you recommend?

Thanks

martin

Assuming you'll be getting drinks around 8:30 or 9pm on a Saturday night, a lot of the great cocktail bars downtown will already be full from walk-ins. I would recommend making a reservation at PDT (call 3pm on the day of) or Milk and Honey (email ASAP, as I'm not sure what non-member reservation policies are like these days). Milk & Honey is no longer private but does require reservations:

milkandhoneyreservations@gmail.com

http://milkandhoneynyc.com [currently appears to be down?]

If that doesn't work, you can always try to walk into Death & Co, Mayahuel, or Pegu Club, but expect a wait with no clear duration. In the case of D&C and Mayahuel, they will take your name and number down, and call you if/when seats are ready. (Cocktail bars aren't like restaurants, where you can predict when tables will be vacated -- someone could be in for one round of drinks, or twelve.)

Or you could just go to Ma Peche.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Martin

Yes - Salumeria Rossi, right on 74th and Amsterdam (so a block away). Perfect timing for that place, and some quite delicious food.

Other options: Shake Shack for a Shack burger and fries, something to-go at Grandaisy Bakery, hot chocolate at Grom or Jacques Torres, maybe Fairway Cafe?

Try Rocco's on Bleecker or Bruno's on La Guardia for freshly filled cannoli.

Ferrara and Veniero both pre-fill their shells, which end up cold and soggy over time.

There's also this newer, fancypants place on the Lower East Side, not sure if they have coffee.

http://stuffedcannoli.com/

Yeah, I also would recommend Rocco's, if you're staying in Manhattan, and don't like Veniero's or Ferrara. However, if you're willing to go to Bensonhurst, Villabate is wonderful and far superior to Rocco's or any other place I've been to in Manhattan.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...

So I spent some time going through the various "Best of..." threads hoping to see recommendations for a corporate business dinner, but was not able to find them.

I am looking a spot in Midtown East, for 10-12 for dinner, preferably with a private or semi-private dining room, though that is not a deal breaker. Italian, French or American cuisine is preferred, in the $50-$75pp+ range (can be higher if needed). This would be on a Wed evening.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

We ate at Lupa tonight or should I say yesterday night. Still jet lagged after 5 days and need to head to the airport to go home in 4 hours.

I had Butter squash ravioli (a special), then the Wednesday special the Roasted Pork "Arista", with Pistachio gelato for dessert.

GG had Ricotta Gnocchi with Sausage & Fenne and Saltimbocca, Sean had Spaghetti Aglio E Olio and Pollo alla Diavola.

My 3 dishes were out of this world great. Sean's pasta was very good. The rest were good but would try other things from the menu. We would definitely recommend anyone to eat there and we would go back again.

We also ate at Bar Boulud during our stay. Besides the food being just OK, I felt that because we did not order any alcoholic beverages, which means no run up of the bill, the waiter did not put any effort into serving us. I ordered the price fixe menu, the waiter forgot I did, till I asked him if the dessert menu which he gave me, showed desserts which were included in my meal. I had salmon for the entree, the sauce was watery and almost tasteless. I ordered the blanc sausage with truffle to share as a appetizer, and it was soft and mushy without a real distinctive taste. I really wanted that down to earth truffle taste, which it did not have any of. For the amount they charged for one sausage, it could have had more truffle. I wonder if it was the real thing from Europe ? My dessert was a chocolate mouse type thing that looked dead and tasted like it had been hanging around for a while, and were seated at 6:30. GG had the roasted chicken breast, pine nuts braised swiss chard, currants and smoked onion mashed potatoes and it was tasty, I must say. Sean forgot what he ordered for a main.

The very best thing that was ordered was a meyer lemon mousse, red currant gelée matcha steam cake desert, which tasted like a almond tart.

Maybe we ordered the the wrong things but the service was very off-putting.

We made our pilgrimage to the Carnegie Deli. Corned beed on rye, side of cold slaw, potato knish and plain cheesecake for the lady and cheery cheese strudel for myself. What can I say ? It is one of the most perfect dinners we eat and we always order the same thing. Once twice a year, we look forward to having it. Sure we may add kasha n varnishkes or even, hold your cholesterol, Kishka, but always with CB, CS, PK, C and CCS. Just great stuff.

Sean and one of my other sons and his family were with us, they ate at a 6 top, Ginger and I ate behind them. Everyone enjoyed what they ordered.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Try Rocco's on Bleecker or Bruno's on La Guardia for freshly filled cannoli.

Ferrara and Veniero both pre-fill their shells, which end up cold and soggy over time.

There's also this newer, fancypants place on the Lower East Side, not sure if they have coffee.

http://stuffedcannoli.com/

It's fancypants, but not expensive, and it's at #176 Stanton Street. With coffee.

I wrote a bit about it on Tasty Travails soon after they opened.

Any of the little Italy places (or Veniero's for that matter) will have coffee that's barely tolerable.

Tasty Travails - My Blog