• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2009

weinoo

Thanks for the help! If we do Spotted Pig it would be really early. Pan, re: my crepe recommendation: let me qualify it by saying that I was coming off a three month no carb diet, so that MAY have affected my opinion! LOL Also, someone asked why no Chinese food: I can't eat shellfish and I have twice had allergic reactions in Chinese restaurants after eating food which should not have contained any shellfish. I think that there could be hidden shellfish ingredients in some dishes, in sauces, perhaps. Weekend dim sum used to be fun before this allergy appeared and I miss it. Dim sum is a now a minefield.

Edited by Boo (log)

Make sure you never go to Malaysian restaurants, because when my brother made the mistake of inviting a woman who's deathly allergic to shrimp to Skyway, it turned out that almost their entire menu had belacan (shrimp paste) among the ingredients, even when you would have no particular reason to suspect that.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 months later...

My wife and I are celebrating our 1 year anniversary soon and I am reaching out to you to provide some suggestions for dinner and what to do in NYC - any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

We are looking for a seafood place - great food is a must and a romantic place will help as well and maybe a nice view.....I was thinking Oceana possibly but am open to many suggestions.

If you're looking for a "great" seafood place, Le Bernardin would probably be the top choice.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We are looking for a seafood place - great food is a must and a romantic place will help as well and maybe a nice view.....I was thinking Oceana possibly but am open to many suggestions.

If you're looking for a "great" seafood place, Le Bernardin would probably be the top choice.

Funny you said that - we actually we are Le bernardin a few weeks ago so we are looking for something different.

Esca, for a totally different vibe than Le B, yet for some still pretty awesome seafood.

Or go somewhere like Balthazar and get the plateaux de fruits de mer. It won't be quiet and romantic, but it'll be a lot of fun and tasty.

I find restaurants like Gramercy Tavern pretty darn good for special occasions.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Will be visiting New York from England in March, and looking for 1 standout meal top end, where should i go? also suggestions for a little more relaxed everyday dining all types of cuisine lunch and dinner, am there for 3 days?

thanks

Liz

Can anyone recommend a restaurant that does something like a family-style meal for large groups of 10+? It also needs to be cheap, like food at approx. $40/person. And not Chinatown, much to my chagrin. And not be so popular that I can't get a reservation for this weekend.

Yeah, that's a lot. Thanks for the help.

Can anyone recommend a restaurant that does something like a family-style meal for large groups of 10+?  It also needs to be cheap, like food at approx. $40/person.  And not Chinatown, much to my chagrin.  And not be so popular that I can't get a reservation for this weekend.

Yeah, that's a lot.  Thanks for the help.

That's a tough one. Maybe Hill Country?

That wasn't chicken

Can anyone recommend a restaurant that does something like a family-style meal for large groups of 10+?  It also needs to be cheap, like food at approx. $40/person.  And not Chinatown, much to my chagrin.  And not be so popular that I can't get a reservation for this weekend.

Yeah, that's a lot.  Thanks for the help.

I think you could do food at the newer 'inoteca for that price. From their website:

Our classic party menu consists of three courses, with the option of dessert or cheese for $34.00 per person, or dessert and cheese for $39.00 per person.

Once you start drinking, all bets are off.

As to this weekend, only one way to find out...

Tasty Travails - My Blog

HC definitely came to mind but some of them don't like pork and wouldn't "get" barbecue. Dealing with rough tastes here.

'ino is a great idea. Didn't know they offered that family-style special. Have emailed and hope to hear back. More recs along those lines would be perfect.

if 'inoteca doesn't work out, here are some possible options:

chiyono has a $30 3-course deal. could probably snag the long table but i'd call this evening. dinner and sunday brunch only. i vaguely remember reading that gabrielle hamilton likes to dine here after her shift.

i booked a party about your size a few months ago in the private downstairs room at aroma. we were able to order a la carte instead of the $65 prix fixe. ask for allene, the events manager. i was upfront with my party's budget and she was very accommodating. without wine, we could've kept it around $40. might be worth checking out.

then there's always koreatown. kang suh has a private rooms upstairs that could fit 10. just don't order too much galbi or bulgogi and you should be fine with the budget.

'inoteca is a good call. Both the LES branch and the new one can accomodate large groups.

Off the top of my head: Kuma Inn (have seen large groups, usually birthdays in there a LOT), Alta, Otto, Freemans, 'inoteca (try both locations), Jane, The Smith, Blue Ribbon Bakery, Boqueria (try both locations).

Pizza might work -- try Arturo's or Veloce Pizzeria. You might have more luck with places that only take reservations for large groups i.e. Boqueria.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 1 month later...

Hi, everyone. I'm having dinner as part of a party of 3 tomorrow. Preference is for roughly the 30s to 50s on the West Side, though we're somewhat flexible there, and no more than about $25/person. I considered Wondee, but my girlfriend (one of tomorrow's diners) and I have been there recently. Another possibility is Szechuan Gourmet. Pam's Real Thai was considered and rejected, because we think it's good but not as good as Wondee. We all like Korean food, too, so Arirang is possible. All of us like spicy food, but as long as it's really tasty, it's likely to please all of us. Bonus points for someplace we haven't been to yet (e.g., that I haven't already mentioned).

Michael aka "Pan"

We're going to Queen of Sheba, if any of you were interested in knowing what decision we made. You can still recommend places for further reference, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm going to be taking one of those double decker buses this week(grayline uptown loop). We want to spend most of our time in Harlem(Apollo theater) and need some ideas on where to eat lunch. we have 2 obstacles one person does not eat red meat and we have kids with us a 2 and a 5 year old.

cliff notes

lunch

harlem

no red meat

kid freindly

yes, i will be one of those tourists on the big red bus.

I'm going to be taking one of those double decker buses this week(grayline uptown loop).  We want to spend most of our time in Harlem(Apollo theater) and need some ideas on where to eat lunch.  we have 2 obstacles one person does not eat red meat and we have kids with us a 2 and a 5 year old.

Dinosaur Barbecue might be a possibility...Click for Dinosaur Thread.

Patsy's in East Harlem on 1st Avenue between 117th & 118th.

Tasty Travails - My Blog