• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Eat in NYC 2009

weinoo

Devi is more like innovating from within the Indian tradition, rather than sort of sticking Indian accents on what is essentially American Restaurant Food.

I like Devi a lot.

It pains me to do so - because I love Devi, but my lunches at Devi last year, after the reopening, where nowhere as good as the dinners - I think it might have to do with which chef is in when - I might opt for Tabla or Tamarind instead at lunch time...

The S/O's and my birthday are next month. For his we will go to Atelier Robuchon (been there and love it).

I'm on the fence for mine. Some choices are Corton and EMP. Other suggestions are welcome... As for Per Se, he's not interested and I won't deal with the reservation nonsense. It's also too much food for me (been there, done that). Neither of us was wowed by Jean Georges the one time we went.

We both liked EMP, but I can't do the multicourse tasting again. I was almost alsleep at the end. The meal took almost five hrs.

There was a post on one of the other boards about terrible, slow service at Corton. Does anyone know anything about this?

I would love to go to KO, but scoring and early reservation on a specific day, is near impossible (see Per Se).

So folks, Please help me out here.

Thanks

The S/O's and my birthday are next month. For his we will go to Atelier Robuchon (been there and love it).

I'm on the fence for mine. Some choices are Corton and EMP. Other suggestions are welcome... As for Per Se, he's not interested and I won't deal with the reservation nonsense. It's also too much food for me (been there, done that). Neither of us was wowed by Jean Georges the one time we went.

We both liked EMP, but I can't do the multicourse tasting again. I was almost alsleep at the end. The meal took almost five hrs.

There was a post on one of the other boards about terrible, slow service at Corton. Does anyone know anything about this?

I would love to go to KO, but scoring and early reservation on a specific day, is near impossible (see Per Se).

So folks, Please help me out here.

Thanks

I had excellent service at Corton, which sounds like it fits your bill in most every way.

I picked Corton for my bday, not sure how much trouble I'm putting my wife through to secure a reservation though.  I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Backups for me are The Modern & Daniel if Corton proves impossible to book.

I had a superb meal last night at The Modern. I hear that Corton has available for the first sitting.

i had a spectacular meal of small dishes and wine at sorella last night. the fried veal sweetbreads may be the best i've had in the city. even my fellow diners who have never tried the offal loved the dish and the accompanying quince bacon marmalade. the dish resembles the nuggets that momofuku noodle used to serve (presented in paper cone as well) but even better and more delicate. pate de fegato (english muffin bread w/duck fat and chicken liver mousse topped w/bacon and fried egg) is outstanding. i also recommend the hearst ranch beef carpaccio, gnocchi, potatoes w/pork cracklins, brussels sprouts w/bacon & apple and tajarin in lamb ragu. the pastry chef just added salty caramel gelati/sorbetti to the dessert menu last night. fantastic balance of sweet and savory. bicerin tastes like a darker, bolder affogato. great dessert. our check at the end of the night was very fair.

like terroir and gottino, interacting with the staff is half the experience. chef emma hearst is affable and can seriously cook. she says that piedmont region is influenced by french cuisine, which imho gives her menu a unique contrast to other italian spots in the city, down to the presentation of her dishes. the friendly staff is knowledgeable about the ingredients and the approachable wine list. a little over a month in, nothing missed a beat. i look forward to tasting my way through the menu. i think sorella is going to gain a lot of fans this year.

I passed by Sorella before and based on the prices of its small plates, I had pegged it as too expensive. But I may be making a mistake. Just how small are those dishes? Do you suppose a couple of small plates plus a couple of contorni and dessert (do they have any desserts?) could feed two people?

Michael aka "Pan"

I passed by Sorella before and based on the prices of its small plates, I had pegged it as too expensive. But I may be making a mistake. Just how small are those dishes? Do you suppose a couple of small plates plus a couple of contorni and dessert (do they have any desserts?) could feed two people?

it really depends on what you order but 2 small plates, 2 contorni and a dessert should be enough for two. you could also do 3 plates, a dessert and skip the sides. and yes, there's dessert and def try the salty caramel gelati. i'm not familiar with the daily 2 course menu and if the portions are larger.

we were a party of six and ordered 6 plates, 2 sides, 2 desserts, 2 bottles of wine and a 1/2 bottle of moscato d'asti and found it comfortably filling. the check came to $45 each w/tip, which i think is very fair. here are some pics of the small plates and sides to give you a better idea of the portion size.

Hi All, I have a friend that is going to be in NYC in two weeks. Needs either a Thurs or Fri night spot to profess his love to his girlfriend and to enjoy her company.

They will be staying in the 50s west. Would really like something low key, not "fancy", the type of place they could get a quiet corner to sit next to each other and no be rushed etc.

I havent lived in nyc in 3 yrs so i'm disconnected.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

So in may my girlfriend and I are planning on going to new york for a full week. I'm planning on eating at Per se, momofuku, spice market and spotted pig. Per se will probably be my big eat (far as money goes) out of the few that I have mentioned. My question to all of you New Yorkers out there is, what are really good cheap eats? my girlfriend and I are adventurous eaters, so we're not picky eaters. If anybody has some great cheap eats that we should check out let me know. Thanks :smile:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

Chinatown. Eat there gratuitously for super cheap. There are threads.

Lots of great "deals" in the two- to three-star restaurants now. Though not exactly cheap eats, more like great value abound for relatively less money.

Then there's the burger joints. In May Shake Shack should be wonderful, though the lines will be long.

And there are hot dogs to eat. Criff Dogs, the Papaya locations.

As BryanZ mentioned, plenty of restaurants are doing recession-specials, especially for off days, off times, or weekday lunches:

http://eater.com/archives/2009/01/eater_deaflfeed_map.php

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/11/recession_dining.html

The best deals in town are usually for weekday lunch (Eleven Madison Park, Jean Georges). Gramercy Tavern also offers a weekdays-only (I think) lunch special of a soup and sandwich in the casual tavern room in front (no reservations).

My favorite cheap eats are Grand Sichuan International (St. Marks location), Gray's Papaya, the take out lunch at Pamplona, a burger at Shake Shack, a sandwich and a slice of Roman-style pizza at Grandaisy or Sullivan Street Bakery, Katz's Deli (the sandwich is big enough to split), Crif Dogs, New Green Bo, the halal cart on 53rd and 6th, and there are tons more if you expand into Queens or Brooklyn (I've been enamored of Flushing, Queens for the last several months). And there's always pizza, too.

Street Vendor map:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/33526/

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I live very close to Grand Sichuan St. Marks, I'm a regular customer, and I got takeout from them tonight. All that said, I consider the 24th and 9th location better. The best Sichuan-style restaurant in Manhattan, though, is Szechuan Gourmet, 39th between 5th and 6th, and it is possible to eat there for about $20/person (though it could also be $30, depending on what you order).

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 month later...

I thought I would start a new thread since the 2008 thread is locked. I'd like to post a very belated thank you! to all who posted advice to me for my Nov '08 visit. We ate at Kampuchea (loved the grilled corn - it was about the only thing on the menu the waitress would let me order once I informed her of my shrimp allergy - everything else we ordered looked delicious, but I couldn't taste it); Double Crown (food was just OK - as I had been warned - but it was packed and had a lively atmosphere); drinks at the bar at the Bowery Hotel (deadly quiet and pretentious faux hunting lodge decor, ick) and drinks at Freeman's (un-pretentious hunting lodge decor - fun!); light lunch at Inoteca followed by a tasty chocolate-filled crepe next door; trawled the Essex Market and snacked on chocolate-covered bacon (the milk chocolate had a buttery quality that made the bacon melt in my mouth); drinks at White Star (very enjoyable as it was early and we were the only customers; the mixologist, Enzo, was very informative; spouse had the absinthe service, prosecco for me; they were hanging a cocktail menu that night, which I thought was interesting since I thought that they didn't do cocktails); dinner and drinks at Tailor (pork belly with butterscotch at the bar and then dinner upstairs- I think I had the pork belly for dinner too - dining room was 3/4 empty on a Sat night, which I now think was a sign of the times); brunch the next day at Schiller's and cupcakes to go at Sugar Sweet Sunshine.

NOW - coming again next month and have the following ideas: Ssam for dinner, Spotted Pig for dinner and have booked Balthazar Sat brunch. Stayng in Soho, but no cocktail bars this time since we're bringing our child. Also, any good places to eat up near the Museum of Natural History? Last time we went there we ended up at a diner-type place (on Columbus?) with great burgers that was packed with families, but I don't exactly remember where it was now. Thanks!

Also, any good places to eat up near the Museum of Natural History?  Last time we went there we ended up at a diner-type place (on Columbus?) with great burgers that was packed with families, but I don't exactly remember where it was now.  Thanks!

There is Shake Shack on Columbus Ave/77th Street for good burgers/shakes.

We usually go to Sushi Haru (81Street/Amsterdam) after visits to Museum of Natural history and Children Museum of Manhattan.

Boo, Kefi is on Columbus between 84th and 85th Sts., and is now open for lunch as well as dinner. I love it. They serve Greek food of incredibly consistent high quality. You'd need reservations for dinner, especially on a weekend, but perhaps lunch would be fine as walk-ins; I don't know, because I've only ever had dinner there. Children are welcome there.

You'll enjoy Balthazar.

Spotted Pig, the one time I went maybe 3 or so years ago, was super-crowded (half hour wait at least, I think) and the food was kind of pricey for what it was, and unimpressive. I understand that what my cousin and I ordered wasn't what I've since found out is their forte, but neither our drinks nor our food were more than just solid, slightly fancified ordinary food to us, and I'm having trouble even remembering what they were. The noise level was very high, too. I wonder whether it's a really suitable place for a child.

You're staying in Soho, so why aren't you planning any trips to Chinatown?

P.S. I think you're the first person I've seen or heard giving a wholehearted compliment to the creperie on Ludlow St. Ever since I asked someone carrying a crepe from there how it was, and they said it was "OK," in a deprecating tone, I've continued to pass the place by without buying anything. Do any other eGullet members like that place, and if so, which crepes have you had there?

Michael aka "Pan"

I would say to do brunch at the Spotted Pig. At night, it's a bit of a scene, but at brunch there are actually a number of families there. Although the menu is different, a few of the classics are there (the burger, the gnudi) and the brunch items are all pretty exemplary.

Shake Shack is perfect for a family after the museum.

And Pan, you're right about the crepe place on Ludlow. Even at 4 AM I can only say the crepes are ok. And at 4 AM, pretty much everything is ok.

Boo, Kefi is on Columbus between 84th and 85th Sts., and is now open for lunch as well as dinner. I love it. They serve Greek food of incredibly consistent high quality. You'd need reservations for dinner, especially on a weekend, but perhaps lunch would be fine as walk-ins; I don't know, because I've only ever had dinner there. Children are welcome there.

You'll enjoy Balthazar.

Spotted Pig, the one time I went maybe 3 or so years ago, was super-crowded (half hour wait at least, I think) and the food was kind of pricey for what it was, and unimpressive. I understand that what my cousin and I ordered wasn't what I've since found out is their forte, but neither our drinks nor our food were more than just solid, slightly fancified ordinary food to us, and I'm having trouble even remembering what they were. The noise level was very high, too. I wonder whether it's a really suitable place for a child.

You're staying in Soho, so why aren't you planning any trips to Chinatown?

P.S. I think you're the first person I've seen or heard giving a wholehearted compliment to the creperie on Ludlow St. Ever since I asked someone carrying a crepe from there how it was, and they said it was "OK," in a deprecating tone, I've continued to pass the place by without buying anything. Do any other eGullet members like that place, and if so, which crepes have you had there?

I love Spotted Pig, but I tend to prefer to go in the afternoon over at night - not that it's really less crowded during the day, but it feels that way. If you go during the day you can get the cubano also, I highly recommend. Gnudi rock. If you go for dinner and you're with a kid I'd go on the earlier side.

I second Kefi. Can't go wrong w/the rabbit parpadelle, shrimp orzo and sweetbreads. Maybe Dovetail for higher end (I haven't been). And I'd give the new Fatty Crab location on 77th/Broad a shot.

That wasn't chicken