• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding nuts to pound cake

Chufi

I'm making a trifle, and to make the cake base a little more interesting I want to add ground pistachios to the cake. I have a good basic pound cake recipe that calls for 2 cups of flour. Can I just use ground nuts for some of the flour? How much?

thanks!

I have a cake recipe that calls for 1/4 cup of almonds (ground fine) to 1-1/4 cups of flour. It's not a pound cake, but it has much the same texture -- rich and fairly dense -- so that might be a starting point.

One trick I learned from this recipe is to process the nuts with some of the sugar, which keeps them from turning into nut butter before they're fine enough.

Surprisingly, adding an equal part of nut paste (keeping the pound cake ratio, 1:1:1:1:etc) works awesome. You'll just need to add a bit of baking powder (around 3-5% of the flour weight) and you're golden.

Edited by Sethro (log)