• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

question re: methylcellulose & foaming

Jonathan Kaplan

I've a quick question re: using methylcellulose to 'foam' liquids. I'm using SGA7C (and A15, but I find the SGA7C works better to foam things). Whipping water and 1% SGA7C, I get a wonderful foam. Same w/ a sugar solution. But acids seems to disrupt the foam (simple syrup at 1%, fine. simple syrup and lemon juice at 4:1 ratio, 1% methylcellulose, no luck :angry: ). I haven't read anything about this, and can't find a reference to it. Any thoughts?

I'd like to make a hot citrus foam. I had OK luck augmenting the SGA7C with some xanthan gum, but that changed the mouth-feel more than than I wanted (a little slimy) :wacko: .

Thoughts? Ideas?

jk

I've a quick question re: using methylcellulose to 'foam' liquids.  I'm using SGA7C (and A15, but I find the SGA7C works better to foam things).  Whipping water and 1% SGA7C, I get a wonderful foam.  Same w/ a sugar solution.  But acids seems to disrupt the foam (simple syrup at 1%, fine.  simple syrup and lemon juice at 4:1 ratio, 1% methylcellulose, no luck  :angry: ). I haven't read anything about this, and can't find a reference to it.  Any thoughts? 

I'd like to make a hot citrus foam.  I had OK luck augmenting the SGA7C with some xanthan gum, but that changed the mouth-feel more than than I wanted (a little slimy) :wacko: .

Thoughts?  Ideas?

jk

hi

if u want any hot acidic foam then use lecithine, i uses this product to make any foam... u will get amazing results...

Where do you buy lecithin or methylcellulose for foaming?

How much to use?

I had never done this and like to try.

Thanks

hi search for texturas in google and look for suppliers they will give u range of El Bulli stuff or just search for molecular gastronomy ingredients supplier, for sure u will get one supplier nearest to ur place....if u want recipes do let me know... will forward u texturas recipes collection....

Lima105 -- I've used lecithin for making "airs" -- but I haven't tried it for hot preparations, and the texture I think would be a little to "thin" (air-like) for the application. But I'll try it, and maybe try a mix... Thanks for the tip!

AVFool: For recipes, check out: http://khymos.org/recipe-collection.php

I used to buy the texturas products marketed by el bulli but the place that had reasonable prices stopped shipping by ground so they got way too expensive. I now get most of my chemicals from Le Sanctuaire.

Best,

jk

Saw an old episode of "The Next Iron Chef". They used 50/50 of xantan and metyl cellulose for whipping stuff that ended up with the consistency of shaving foam.

The winning dish for the episode was razor (clams) and "shaving foam".