• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jalapeno Cheese

billieboy

I love living in this small town, but I sure do miss the availability of some ingredients that I could get in The Big Smoke (AKA Toronto)

One of the things I miss is jalapeno cheddar cheese.

I was wondering if I could make it?

Melt down a lb of cheese and mix chopped peppers in it.

Pour into a mold to get the block shape back and refrigerate.

Would I ruin $8 or 9 worth of cheese?

Would the texture/taste be completely ruined?

Bill

I love living in this small town, but I sure do miss the availability of some ingredients that I could get in The Big Smoke (AKA Toronto)

One of the things I miss is jalapeno cheddar cheese.

I was wondering if I could make it?

Melt down a lb of cheese and mix chopped peppers in it.

Pour into a mold to get the block shape back and refrigerate.

Would I ruin $8 or 9 worth of cheese?

Would the texture/taste be completely ruined?

Bill

Billieboy, I would not suggest that you melt the cheese. Find yourself an old Southern (US) recipe for pimento cheese (sp?) and follow that , substituting hot peppers for the pimento. Generally the recipes I've seen call for using a meat grinder. I'll try and find some links for you! HTH!

edited for spelling.

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thank you Judiu.

The cream cheese ones do not interest me, but two of them are with cheddar (my weakness)

I wonder if the other ingredients are necessary...Evaporated milk, mayo etc.

I think I will try shredding up a pound, mix in the peppers and physically press it back into a brick.

If all else fails, use brute force :biggrin:

I think that the cream cheese is more for the spreadablity factor, since pimento cheese is supposed to be "gooshy" and spreadable, not sliceable. Good luck with the experiment! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"