• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Surf And Turf

Peter the eater

According to Jane and Michael Stern's Encyclopedia of Bad Taste:

Surf 'n' Turf epitomizes culinary kitsch. The point is to maximize hedonistic extravagance by ordering the two most expensive things on the menu; that is, the menu is guided not by aesthetic concerns, but for the sake of vulgar display.

That may be true for some, but I make surf and turf at home because it can be really, really good. In fact, there are so many delicious combinations of red meat and seafood that it's worth creating a dedicated topic.

What are some winning combos?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Here's one:

gallery_42214_6390_5034.jpg

Venison with Port morel sauce and Stilton

Malpeque oysters with FRANK'S® RedHot®

Roasted russets

Haricot vert

Moe Sizlack

The Philly Surf and Turf is a fish cake sort of mushed on top of a hot dog.  I'm sure Holly Moore can tell you lots about this Philadelphia speciality.

That's quite a concept -- I'll bet it tastes great. Shouldn't cream cheese be involved somehow?

Moe Sizlack

gallery_14_105_194.jpg

Not sure about creamed cheese.  Maybe a mustard tartar sauce.

That is something I've never seen before, thanks.

There is some controversy regarding the first use of "surf and turf" on a menu. Apparently it's either Buffalo, NY or Seattle, WA in the mid sixties.

To me, surf and turf seems like a retro 1970's kinda meal. A T-bone and scallops, or a rib eye and lobster tail. Smoking (mad)men in suits meeting at the steakhouse after work, drinking highballs or martinis. Driving home in an eight cylinder sports car and taking some Anacin before bed.

Moe Sizlack

Oysters and pork are a winning combo. You can make braised pork and fresh oysters (which hzrt8w already posted here ), oyster-stuffed pork loin, fresh oyster and ground pork soon du boo, oyster and pork sausage, the list goes on and on.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Red bull and Clamato with Everclear.

That's a stretch, if you're suggesting clam=surf and bull=turf. Although . . . a boozy energy drink is not without appeal.

Moe Sizlack

For me it's steak and scallops

Here's my version of steak & scallops in appetizer form, they look like tiny 1" hamburgers to me:

gallery_42214_6041_60576.jpg

Moe Sizlack

Over the last few years we have been enjoying a combination that was dubbed (I can't remember by who) "Redneck surf n' turf"

Ribs and crab cakes, haven't had a complaint from any of the recipients!

Two more versions of redneck surf and turf:

squirrels and catfish

roadkill deer while ice fishing bluegill

Moe Sizlack

Ah yes, master of both the land and the sea!

I have to agree with steverino, it's hard to go wrong with King Crab Legs. Half a pound legs at very least.

As for the meat, I just don't want beef filet/tenderloin - totally useless IMO. An american wagyu boneless ribeye would hit the spot I think.

Le Bernardin does a white tuna (escolar) & Japanese kobe beef combo that's pretty hard to beat too.

Steak and oysters. Really complementary- bloody/slightly metallic, juicy/wet, crusty/silky, gamey/dark ocean-type flavor...er, yeah. Those ample chunks of fat-encrusted pink beef are the grounding force for a meal that will feature no less than a dozen broiled oysters on the half shell with plenty of lemon.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I have to agree with steverino, it's hard to go wrong with King Crab Legs.  Half a pound legs at very least.

I forget just how sweet king crab legs are -- until I see a cluster on sale. I've always assumed they came from the Pacific Ocean, but now I'm not so sure. We have plenty of snow crab (aka queen crab) here in Atlantic Canada, but I don't think there's a king crab fishery. I've never tasted American wagyu boneless ribeye, but all four of those words together is very enticing.

Moe Sizlack

OK, everybody has gone for the exotic combinations. I personally think the old standby combination of lobster tail and a nice steak is very good. Of course a lobster has to be served out of a shell cooked perfectly with clarified butter for dipping and the steak has to be a medium-rare New York strip. Add some asparagus, a steaming hot baked potato (butter and sour cream only please) and a nice bottle of wine and you're set for the evening! Of course cooking it at home makes it that much better and more relaxing.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.