• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried oyster omelette in Sydney?

I've had this dish (the Chinese/Hokkien signature) in Melbourne a couple of times, and as a result, I believe firmly that it's always going to be disappointing unless one travels to the following locales to sample it:

1. Xiamen, Fujian Province, China - arguably the birthplace of the oyster omelette, but with very little egg in the recipe.

2. Penang Island, Malaysia - the hawker food capital of the region, enough said

3. Port Klang, Malaysia - there is one restaurant, only one, near the old port, that does a superlative rendition of this dish, and the eggs are rendered crispy...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I've had this dish (the Chinese/Hokkien signature) in Melbourne a couple of times, and as a result, I believe firmly that it's always going to be disappointing unless one travels to the following locales to sample it:

1. Xiamen, Fujian Province, China - arguably the birthplace of the oyster omelette, but with very little egg in the recipe.

2. Penang Island, Malaysia - the hawker food capital of the region, enough said

3. Port Klang, Malaysia - there is one restaurant, only one, near the old port, that does a superlative rendition of this dish, and the eggs are rendered crispy...

Thanks PCL, I'll bear those in mind. Meanwhile I have found somewhere just up the road from home who does it and I'll be trying it in the next day or so. Fingers crossed...

Ok, so if you're not lucky enough to get out of Sydney..... a few thoughts for something slightly resembling what you might be after:

Spice I am, Surry Hills http://www.spiceiam.com/: It's Thai, but their Hoy Tod could do the trick?

Istana, Thornleigh: I've never been, but Malaysian friends have. Oyster omelette is on their menu, but not sure of the quality.

Temasek, Parramatta: Some Chinese friends tell me this has good CNY foods.... and oyster omlette is a staple on their menu too.

Sydney Fish Market: It's a long shot, but see if there's someone here doing it? Or else by the oysters yourself and home cook...

Let me know of the place you discover down the road too.

The issue with the oyster omelette, or 'ho-jian', is that it should be done with small to medium small oysters. Aussie oysters are just too big. Commonly, the oysters found in a good ho-jian are no larger than say 25mm across.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 1 month later...