• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Ice Crusher Recommendations?

Scout_21

Trust me, you do not want a manual ice crusher. Been there. Not going back.

What you want is a vintage Ice-O-Matic ice crusher by Rival, like this one. They can usually be found on eBay for a reasonable price. Just search for "ice crusher" and "rival." You want one of the deco-style ones.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

Well, you could try what my mom used to do, and I did a few times: Put a clean dishtowel in the freezer about an hour before you need the ice. After the hour remove the towel and the ice-to-be-crushed, fold the ice into the towel on a rugged cutting board. Pound on the towel with a wooden mallet, dump the crushed ice into a container, and Voila! crushed ice. It works, requires no purchases, and feels good. The towel in the freezer keeps the crushed ice from sticking to the towel.

Ray

Based on your request for manual and possibly vintage I can recommend the Ice-O-Mat. I got mine for $10 at a flea market and a friend found one at a garage sale for $2. These are for one or two servings only- at least the models we found. Nice ice size, easy to turn.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for a new ice crusher...a while back, slkinsey donated one to me, but it has since met its demise.

I seem to recall one being touted in a recent magazine (Bon Apetit, Food & Wine??) as being highly efficient and which attached to the counter top via a suction device. Looked and appeared to be good at the task. Anyone have any idea as to what I'm thinking of?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In another thread, I recommended the Swing-a-Way ice crusher, which got a good review in Imbibe Magazine. After a few months of use, though, I'm little ambivalent about it. It still works fine, but there's clearly some internal part that's started to rust, so I feel like I have to be more conscientious about rinsing it after use, and drying it as thoroughly as possible. Otherwise, I've been happy with its performance.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 2 months later...

My Rival Ice-O-Matic just died, and I grabbed one on eBay for six bucks -- but an 810A, not an 800A, which I've always had in the past. This thing is a beast, a bit slower but much more powerful. The ice is all one consistency (but, frankly, the adjustments on the 800A were always finicky to me), but it's less powdery than the 800A results. I love it.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have experience with the Waring IC70? Amazon now has it for $50.

I have one of those, and it works very well indeed. The only two reservations I have are minor: One, the chute that ice travels towards the crushing mechanism is rather narrow, so if you have oddly shaped ice (even regular freezer cubes stuck together at angles) you will occasionally have to stick something in there to free it--turn it off first of course. Making sure your ice cubes are separated first mostly eliminates this. Two, and this is minor, it's a fairly coarse crush. This to me is fine for anything short of a julep, and if I'm making juleps I crush ice in my Waring first then run it through a hand crank job to get it really fine.

If you crush ice semi-regularly and have a place to store this thing then go for it.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 11 months later...