• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ottawa Restaurants - reservations are in!

jtphjl

I will be in Ottawa for six dinners. I just completed my reservations with the hope I do not have a serious over sight.

Feedback, menu recommendations, Canadian wines and beers, BAKERY (!) and lunch spots ...etc please suggest!!!!!!!! Still interested ina Spot for Chinese New Year!

Reservations in Place are: Navarra Street,

Signatures by Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts,Eight8teen,Beckta,Domus and

Urban Pear

Thanks!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 2 weeks later...
I will be in Ottawa for six dinners. I just completed my reservations with the hope I do not have a serious over sight.

Feedback, menu recommendations, Canadian wines and beers, BAKERY (!) and lunch spots ...etc please suggest!!!!!!!! Still interested ina Spot for Chinese New Year!

Reservations in Place are:  Navarra Street,

Signatures by Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts,Eight8teen,Beckta,Domus and

Urban Pear

Thanks!

Jan

Check out atelier: www.atelierrestaurant.ca

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/featur...f0-6a4831e139d2

It's been a while since I lived there but here goes:

For pastries and hot chocolate Le Moulin De Provence in Byward market.

Great Wall on Somerset is fantastic for Chinese food.

There's a little place near Carleton University that serves the most delicous empanadas but the name seems to be eluding me right now. :wub:

Just back from 6 nights of eating my way through Ottawa! and a headfull of outstanding memores! I opted for Urban Pear in lieu of Marc Lepine's Atelier and I am somewhat sorry I did -- I am really sorry I did not extend my stay.

I will share more detail howeer for now - this is an absolte must - if you are in a day's drive make Petit Bill’s Bistro a MUST! This is a DESTINATION!

Let me just say - Poutine Lobster ...

a crispy bed of pencil sliced potato tickled by a buttery mascarpone bulging with sweet fresh lobster ... this was my starter sadly shared by another who had the audacity to order his own starter of the newfoundland chowder which was a velvet lovefest of muscles, scallops (I am allergic) and clams ...

craving Quidi Vidi mussels is what put this amazing Newfoundland owner on my radar -- Two brothers have managed to transport the spirit and love of the Rock and mix it with a fine passion for food. (not to mention a fine taste for wine).

I can't imagine eating more and yet we did ... my husband ordered the lunch burger (I will post photos as soon as I learn how!) that he could have used an extra hand to hold and that was wthout toppings -- Grilled challah hosted a tender chopped angus prime with onion jam that nestled a Monet of a salad-- crisp multi greens, red and yellow peppers (think edible art!) -- ahh but i inhailed a Lobster Monte Cristo sandwich - made the Newfoundland way - no waste - no dripping sauce - thick challah, chunky plentiful lobster, just a smear of goat cheese dipped into an eggbath with perhaps a tease of pepper before hitting the grill ---

may I just say this meal was heaven.

Our server was (brother) Terry - and that sounds way to formal, we left wishing he was our Brother ...ahh to have been born into a family that can cook like this! Gives a new promise to holidays! Terry was more like our host and before we left (it had been both my birthday and my husbands) he brought is a slice (WAYYYYYY to BIGGGGGGGG to be a slice - ) of Randy's (the other Brother) maple cheese cake -- we faked ourselves into believing the maple like merrange top would errase any logical message the stomach may be telling the head ...like I am full - and we devoured the entire piece.......

There is a love, a lightness, a sweetness and genuine warmth that happends in Newfoundland and it echoes at The Petit Bill's Bistro!

Jan

(The Petit Bill's Bistro 1293 Wellington Street 613.729.2500)

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler