• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buckwheat Pancakes

Charles Smith

I recently retruned to NYC from my annual trip to southwestern PA (Uniontown)- My family runs a business there and we have a weekend of meetings each year surrounding my departed grandmother's Oct. 18th birthday-

It's a great time to be in that part of the world- the foliage is amazing and it's buckwheat season.

Part of the trip is breakfast at Braddock's Inn (or Glissen's) on route 40 between Uniontown and Farmingdale. It's $3 for up to 6 buckwheat cakes. Sausage or country ham is $2 extra.

the cakes are delicious- light and a little grainy, with a distinct buckwheat flavor. I can still taste them !

Cheers,

Charles

• 1 month later...

Charles,

Everytime I cruise past your post I pause and think of the Buckwheat pancakes I use to eat as a kid. Did you know Buckwheat is not made from wheat? I will pick up a package of the flour this Saturday. My son likes buckwheat as a hot cereal and thinks of them as being better that oatmeal. I also think so. Thanks for turning me on to buckwheat again.

Chefvic123 :biggrin:

If you have truly run out of places to travel to and odd festivals to visit.... consider a voyage to Penn Yann NY for their Buckwheat festival. Among the many exciting events is the cooking and consumption of the world's largest buckwheat pancake.

If you have truly run out of places to travel to and odd festivals to visit....  consider a voyage to Penn Yann NY for their Buckwheat festival. Among the many exciting events is the cooking and consumption of the world's largest buckwheat pancake.

Penn Yann... nice part of the world.

The long departed Unadilla Valley Railroad carried many loads of buckwheat grown in the upstate valleys around Bridgewater and Norwich NY. One of their identifiers was "The Buckwheat and Dandelion Line" but I don't recall dandelions were much of a cash crop.

The buckwheat grain was favored in many kasha recipes.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There's a very nice recipe for Buckwheat Pancakes in A Real American Breakfast, by Cheryl Alters Jamison & Bill Jamison. It involves starting the batter the night before, making a batter of milk, yeast, buckwheat flour, unbleached white flour, a little cornmeal, sugar, and salt. The next morning, separate an egg and beat the white until soft peaks form. Beat the egg yolk, baking soda, and a little water into the batter, along with some melted butter, and then fold in the egg white. I like buckwheat pancakes with blueberries scattered over the tops as they cook, with maple syrup on top, and with bacon or ham served alongside (ham with a kind of red-eye gravy made with bourbon).

I like to eat pancakes a lot in the wintertime. I try to save some of the batter in a plastic container in the refrigerator -- the next time I want pancakes, I just add some more of the flours and some milk, maybe another egg to the batter and don't have to go through the overnight fermentation.