• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading to Portland, OR

Chapel Tavern

Heading to Portland next month and wondering what bars are a must hit.  I already know about the Teardrop and plan on going there.  Anything else I shouldn't miss?

Ten01 Bistro with Kelley Swenson behind the bar is pretty good. Heard good things about 50 Plates, though they were too mobbed the last time I was in town and I didn't get a chance to visit the bar. Jeffrey Morgenthaler just started working at Clyde Common, which already had a decent bar. And best of all, these are all within a few blocks of each other (and of Teardrop).

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

Heading to Portland next month and wondering what bars are a must hit.  I already know about the Teardrop and plan on going there.  Anything else I shouldn't miss?

Ten01 Bistro with Kelley Swenson behind the bar is pretty good. Heard good things about 50 Plates, though they were too mobbed the last time I was in town and I didn't get a chance to visit the bar. Jeffrey Morgenthaler just started working at Clyde Common, which already had a decent bar. And best of all, these are all within a few blocks of each other (and of Teardrop).

Thanks for the recommendations Paul. I'll hit as many as I can. By the way, I'm a big fan of your blog. Lots of great info and very well written. If you ever happen to find yourself in Reno, NV stop by Chapel Tavern. We're a small place but we're doing our best to raise the bar, so to speak, in the land of sweet and sour long islands and red-headed sluts. Thanks again.

Thanks for the recommendations Paul. I'll hit as many as I can. By the way, I'm a big fan of your blog. Lots of great info and very well written. If you ever happen to find yourself in Reno, NV stop by Chapel Tavern. We're a small place but we're doing our best to raise the bar, so to speak, in the land of sweet and sour long islands and red-headed sluts. Thanks again.

Those three places are probably the cream of crop. Happy Hour starts at 3 pm at Clyde Common and they have great $5 cocktails, HH Burgers & Fries and then it's a couple of blocks to Teardrop and or Ten01.

Powell's Books which is an enormous local bookstore is right in the middle - a square block multistory bookstore.