• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking online source for feijoada fixins

Jennifer Brizzi

I'm making a mess of feijoada for a dinner party next week--a nearly lifelong ambition of mine--and I'd love to find an online source for carne seca, corned ribs, manioc meal, malageta peppers or sauce, etc. I live 100 miles north of New York City but a trip there is not feasible before the party. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Jennifer Brizzi (log)

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

I don't know what to tell you Jenn. I can't find anything out there and tell you the truth, I rely on a lot of substitution up here in Portland, ME.

We used to have a Brazilian store who stocked carne seca every Thursday but they went out of business. She ordered stuff from Boston and Providence and it all came up by van. So far I can't find anything else.

I have found malagueta peppers in specialty food stores as well as do-able substitutes:

gallery_16643_1028_42846.jpg

Here are rice & bean brands that I found in New England: Tio João and Biju

gallery_16643_1028_33767.jpg

For meats, I use chuck stew beef, three or four smoked ham hocks, tongue and/or corned beef brisket, 6 or so fresh chorizo links (last 15 minutes)

I found these farofas also in New England.

gallery_16643_1028_55866.jpg

I have one bag left. It's yours for $200, shipping included. :wink:

ETA: Newark is a great source but you knew that. I go there expressly to stock up and hit the Cafe Brasil.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks, that's very helpful, especially your list of what you use, like corned beef brisket--great idea! Two hundred bucks is a bit steep for farofa, though!

Thanks much.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

Thanks, that's very helpful, especially your list of what you use, like corned beef brisket--great idea! Two hundred bucks is a bit steep for farofa, though!

Hey, it's a tough economy!! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I found a few things on amigofoods.com out of Miami: carne seca, manioc meal for farofa, malagueta peppers in a jar and Brazilian black beans. Now if it comes in in time, I'm good to go!

Jennifer Brizzi