• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SB Newbies Need EG help- I've done my homework

cocoagirl

We are staying at the Tides in South Beach. 3 ladies in late forties on a girls weekend. I don't knwo South beach at all. I find there are not as many resources to follow for dining as say new york, so for help so I am relying on my fellow chow hounds.

Thursday night (we want casual, fun fine food): Michaels Genuine: Is this close to South Beach or an expensive cab ride?

Friday Lunch (we are going out later that night so we want a 2p.m. or so fun, festive lunch with either people watching or water view) : Bistro One in the Ritz Carlton or Il Dido in the same (this seems weak, so a better idea would be appreciated)

Fri Eve Clubbing: Setai bar or the Shore Club

Saturday Dinner: Vix

Sunday Dinner: a casual Cuban place: please name a good one

Monday lunch: Joe's Crab Stone House

How am I doing.

Thanks to all.

We are staying at the Tides in South Beach.  3 ladies in late forties on a girls weekend. I don't knwo South beach at all.  I find there are not as many resources to follow for dining as say new york, so for help so I am relying on my fellow chow hounds.

Thursday night (we want casual, fun fine food): Michaels Genuine: Is this close to South Beach or an expensive cab ride?

Friday Lunch (we are going out later that night so we want a 2p.m. or so fun, festive lunch with either people watching or water view) :  Bistro One in the Ritz Carlton or Il Dido in the same (this seems weak, so a better idea would be appreciated)

Fri Eve Clubbing: Setai bar or the Shore Club

Saturday Dinner: Vix

Sunday Dinner: a casual Cuban place: please name a good one

Monday lunch: Joe's Crab Stone House

How am I doing.

Thanks to all.

cocoa - I would respond here had I not already responded here. Maybe others will surface on this board.

Keep in mind that I am totally prejudiced against South Beach (didn't like it when I lived in Miami and don't like it now). And I am not sure it is the most pleasant place in the greater Miami metro area for the kind of "girls weekend" you're talking about (unless you want to sit on the beach all weekend - not recommended unless you want to nurse a bad sunburn when you get home).

On my part - I'd probably stay at a place like the Four Seasons - in Miami proper (good deals available - like stay 2 nights/get 1 free) - rent a car and see/do the best of what greater Miami has to offer. Whether it's sightseeing - or shopping - or eating (none of which is in South Beach IMO). That way you won't have to worry about the cab ride to Michael's Genuine or similar - or a cab ride to a good authentic Cuban restaurant. If you want to go clubbing one night on South Beach - then you can take a cab or hotel car or limo (note that serious "clubbing" on South Beach usually starts several hours after I go to sleep - and many (most?) clubs cater to very young people.

Also note that Joe's does not take reservations - and it is closed for lunch on Monday. I do think it is worth a trip for lunch though - just on a day it's open :wink: . The place usually isn't that crowded at lunch (not like the zoo scene you'll find for dinner). Robyn

Just be sure you have reservations for Joe's Stone Crab.  Good food, but it's a very crowded, touristy spot.  (Or it was, back in my day).

Joe's does not take reservations (and Robyn is right, is not open Mondays for lunch).

As for staying downtown vs. South Beach, MGF&D is not in downtown either, it's in the Design District, and you will be cabbing it there (or renting a car) whether you're staying at the Four Seasons or the Tides. The difference is maybe a couple miles.

Edited by drosendorf (log)

Just be sure you have reservations for Joe's Stone Crab.  Good food, but it's a very crowded, touristy spot.  (Or it was, back in my day).

Joe's does not take reservations (and Robyn is right, is not open Mondays for lunch).

As for staying downtown vs. South Beach, MGF&D is not in downtown either, it's in the Design District, and you will be cabbing it there (or renting a car) whether you're staying at the Four Seasons or the Tides. The difference is maybe a couple miles.

FWIW - I don't think anyone should be without a car in the greater Miami area unless it's absolutely necessary. Or unless all they want to do is stay in a very limited area - like 10 square blocks on South Beach - during their stay. It is not a cab or public transportation friendly city. Robyn