• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

XIV

moosnsqrl

Anyone checked out XiV (I assume, if said aloud, it's called Quatorze?).

Heading there next weekend but "starving" for advanced intel.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 months later...
Anyone checked out XiV (I assume, if said aloud, it's called Quatorze?).

Heading there next weekend but "starving" for advanced intel.

Pretty sure it's just called fourteen, actually. No pretentions of being French. I ate there a month or so ago, and had a very nice meal. While there are certainly the trappings of a style over substance kind of place (Philippe Starck interior, Sunset Strip address, etc.), I found the food to be both inventive and often quite good. Not every dish was a winner, but since you are likely to taste a bunch of things due to the format, you'll have more hits than misses in my experience.

The format is sort of a forced tasting menu for the table that you design yourselves. In other words, when a dish is selected from the myriad small plates on the menu, everyone must have it. I didn't mind this at all, but you should go with people who share your adventurousness in eating. They also have an analog vegetarian menu. Cocktails are tasty and for the most part well-prepared, and there is a decent if not amazing wine list.

I definitely recommend trying the place.

How were the desserts, out of curiosity?

To be fair, we didn't order dessert, as none of us are big sweet tooth types, and the whole table would have had to order them. But they did give us a few little bites, all of which were good, but not that memorable. I'll have to pay more attention to the sweets next time I go.

To be fair, we didn't order dessert, as none of us are big sweet tooth types, and the whole table would have had to order them. But they did give us a few little bites, all of which were good, but not that memorable. I'll have to pay more attention to the sweets next time I go.

Cool. Thank you.

I really enjoyed the pastry chef's desserts back when he was in NY.

Cool. Thank you.

I really enjoyed the pastry chef's desserts back when he was in NY.

Wow, didn't occur to me to look it up until you mentioned it. Didn't realize that it was Jordan Kahn, or I would have gone ahead and tried dessert!