• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepper

billieboy

I think it's simply because white pepper is more easily available in China and became the standard ingredient.

It is also different in taste to black pepper, and is preferred by many, if not most, Chinese cooks.

There is also a preference for white on aesthetic grounds. Many people don't like to see black specks in their dishes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I think it's simply because white pepper is more easily available in China and became the standard ingredient.

It is also different in taste to black pepper, and is preferred by many, if not most, Chinese cooks.

There is also a preference for white on aesthetic grounds. Many people don't like to see black specks in their dishes.

Thank you. Makes perfect sense.

What a wonderful site this is. Ask a question about Chinese food and a gentleman from China answers you. :wub:

Bill

[What a wonderful site this is. Ask a question about Chinese food and a gentleman from China answers you.  :wub:

In more detail, it is a British gentleman living in China answers you.

Or answered by a Chinese living in USA. :laugh::laugh::laugh: The Internet has made this world smaller.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I use white pepper in foods that have little color as it is esthetically prettier.

I know many people say that pepper is pepper and there is little variation in flavor. However, I notice differences in the various types and in some cases it is very noticeable to me. The pepper does have to be fresh and ground just prior to use.

I have purchased a significant amount of pepper from Pepper-Passion.com and have been very pleased with the quality of products.

I gave my son in law the Omni pack for Christmas as he is an avid pepper consumer and another person who can detect the different "flavors" of the varietals.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

White and black pepper are not equivalent in either flavor or in measure. I think people who use it simply for 'aesthetic reasons' either do not add enough pepper to their dish to make a difference, or for some reason don't taste the difference.

It surprises me that people don't talk more about the completely different flavors of white and black pepper. You can't just substitute black pepper for white pepper in Asian recipes. If you really want to taste the difference, try heating up some good, plain chicken broth. Pour out two small cups, and add a little black pepper to one and a little white pepper to another. Taste the difference? Add a little more pepper to each. Does the white pepper starting to overpower the other flavors? Try the same experiment with simply prepared eggs. How does white pepper taste compared to black?

White pepper is also a much more forward and assertive flavor. Use with care. If you add the same amount of white pepper to a dish as a substitute for black pepper, you may well find that dish overpowered.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

White pepper is also a much more forward and assertive flavor. Use with care. If you add the same amount of white pepper to a dish as a substitute for black pepper, you may well find that dish overpowered.

I agree, I made a couple unedible ,heatwise, soups, before I realized that...

Bud