• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really thin acetate?

chefpeon

Hey all.....

you know that plastic stuff that you see around some desserts and cake slices in pastry shops and sometimes grocery stores? It makes some softer desserts easier to handle and also prevents the sides from drying out and discoloring.

I asked a friend what it was called and she said "flexi cake bands". I can't find anything under that name by Googling it, and I don't know what else it would be called. One of my suppliers has acetate on a roll, but it's too thick and not flexible enough.

Does anyone know where I can source this stuff, and what I would call it?

Thanks!

Annie :unsure:

kopykake also makes acetate cake strips.

you can get them pre-cut to size or just rolls and cut your own.

i'm pretty sure you can get them in different heights (widths) as well.

edited to add: yeah, i just love being redundant...the earlier link shows what i just said... :hmmm:

Edited by alanamoana (log)

most of the acetate bands i've used don't really bend too well. you can easily fold/crease them, but that might be more work than you want to deal with. if you're covering the sides of a larger cake, then i'd cut two pieces and fold them each in half (measured for the two sides of the cake you're covering). for smaller pieces, it might be too much of a pain.

i think luis uses cellophane when he's working with chocolate and it might be thinner and more flexible, but you'd probably have to cut the strips yourself from sheets or a roll. again, more work than you're looking for probably.