• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoping for some help here...

vandan

It's very similar, but with both Argentinian and Uruguayan beef there's variety... it used to be 100% grass-fed, but these days it's increasingly likely to be grass-fed to start and then grain-finished in a feedlot, same as North American beef. 100% grass-fed is less marbled (= chewier) but is considered to be more flavourful. Usually, the 100% grass-fed product will have yellowish fat, so if you see snowy-white fat, it's grain-finished. I suspect the export stuff is mostly grain-finished.

Intercity Packers is importing the Uruguayan beef (at least I saw tons of it in their plant last time I was there), so you could give them a call and see what kind it is and who else has it at retail: 604-291-7791

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

thanks for the tip and info, i just called and the woman told me it wasn't popular and that she didn't think they sold it to any retail outlets, she thought only restaurants of which she could't supply me with any names

well i made the trek out to stong's( a store i'm no fan of ) yesterday only to have a very snotty butcher(ess?) tell me that they haven't got any and haven't been able to get a hold of any since at least last summer

well i made the trek out to stong's( a store i'm no fan of ) yesterday only to have a very snotty butcher(ess?) tell me that they haven't got any and haven't  been able to get a hold of any since at least last summer

Sorry to go of topic, what's the deal with Stongs? Never been there.

I also should stay somewhat on topic and report that i've never seen Uruguayan beef nor tasted it - what am I missing?

I was in the UK during their mad cow crisis and the only beef available in restaurants was from Argentina or Uruguay. I had a Uruguayan rib-eye at that time. It was good but no better than Canadian beef. I have had Argentinian beef in Canada and was not impressed. I had a British rib-eye in London in 2005 and it was superb.

imo stong's is a very tired looking, over-rated and expensive grocery store located in dunbar

Sorry - I should have posted that I called and they said that they no longer carry the beef. I thought upthread that you did that already.

I don't actually shop there (I live on North Shore) - but the crappy service seems out of character (I have friends in the area) - still, no excuse for being short with you.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1626141

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...766&hl=dry+aged

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1236346

I believe that if you’re looking for good meat search out dry aged beef as opposed to Cryovack or wet aged beef. In the old days everything was hung not cut and put into cryo.. It allowed for oxidization and drying which is what makes the beef good. When you have too much water that comes out when you are cooking your steak. I find this to be a big problem with a lot of meat coming from out of country or for that mater product produced right here. The producers are putting the water onto us and we pay for it and you get a poor cut of meat because of their poor aging process. You are boiling your meat when the moisture content is too high. Why are you looking for Argentina or Uruguaian beef …is it the feed they get you like or flavour?

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1626141

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...766&hl=dry+aged

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1236346

I believe that if you’re looking for good meat search out dry aged beef as opposed to Cryovack or wet aged beef. In the old days everything was hung not cut and put into cryo.. It allowed for oxidization and drying which is what makes the beef good.  When you have too much water that comes out when you are cooking your steak. I find this to be a big problem with a lot of meat coming from out of country or for that mater product produced right here. The producers are putting the water onto us and we pay for it and you get a poor cut of meat because of their poor aging process. You are boiling your meat when the moisture content is too high. Why are you looking for Argentina or Uruguaian beef …is it the feed they get you like or flavour?

steve

Hello all....

Best beef in the lower mainland, coming from a person who competes with beef and teaches grilling classes, is from Hopcott Meats in Pitt Meadows. I grew up in Alberta, love beef and still go out of my way to get to Hopcott's.

The beef is hormone free, natural (not organic - too challenging to do), minimum dry aged 28 days and cut in house. Can't beat that.

A few stores around the lower mainland carry it - so please ask you local butcher.

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

• 1 month later...
My own personal philosophy is to steer (huh, I'm so funny) clear of imported food and buy local wherever possible.  There's lots of good local beef to be had.

I agree wholeheartedly. Besides, the Argentine beef, dry aged or not WILL come frozen, in cryovac. Buy local, dry aged, grass fed, and you'll have the closest experience.

If you want to taste argentine beef, you really have to go to Argentina. I lived the first 13 years of my life there and have never been satisfied with the flavour of any other beef. Plus the offal (especially the liver, tripe and sweetbreads) are superb.