• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Meatballs

jvalentino

Hi All,

Tonight I find myself with a double batch of meatballs and can only use one. I usually cook them @425F to brown them, then braise them in the sauce.

Since I have too many my question is- Should I freeze them raw, or bake then freeze, and reheat in the sauce?

Thanks,

Jeff

Personally, I'd cook first, then freeze them on a cookie sheet and transfer them to a freezer bag so you can pull out one or two when you make sauce/pasta.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

You can also vacuum-seal the cooked meatballs without freezing them first. Since the grinding and the mixing are a production (and the kids like rolling them!), I always make a massive batch whenever I make them, cook them on sheets in the oven, and freeze the majority for later.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I make them, cook them on sheets in the oven, and freeze the majority for later.

How would you rate the taste as opposed to freshly cooked? I have been anti-freezer for sometime, especially for meat. Nowadays though I'm trying to buy in a little more in bulk and get along with my freezer. We're taking it slow. :wub:

since i poach my meatballs from raw in my gravy(from adrienne trigiani's family recipe) i freeze raw then pull out the number i need.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I make them, cook them on sheets in the oven, and freeze the majority for later.

How would you rate the taste as opposed to freshly cooked? I have been anti-freezer for sometime, especially for meat. Nowadays though I'm trying to buy in a little more in bulk and get along with my freezer. We're taking it slow. :wub:

I think that I can detect a very slight loss of brightness in the flavorings -- the oregano is a teeny bit less pungent, for example. However, it's barely noticeable served in sauce at a family-style meal by anyone but me.

You are vacuum-sealing them, right? I'm not talking about freezer-burned stuff here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 6 years later...

I deep freeze the meatballs raw, defrost naturally or in the microwave oven. Pan-fried with some oil and cooked through with Pomodoro sauce for my pasta dish.

Pasta meatball.JPG

• Like 1

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.