• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hubbell & Hudson

Kevin72

This store, very much in the Central Market mold, opened in the Woodlands back in November. Got a chance to check it out over the holidays.

Highlights:

Friendly, eager to please but still on the learning curve staff

A meat aging locker between the butcher and seafood cases: steaks being hung and dry-aged with dates in and out on them. I thought it was fascinating but I wonder how appealing the more, ah, ripe specimens will look down the line.

Guanciale in the deli section!

Shelled and peeled hazelnuts--I've not seen toasted and peeled hazelnuts anywhere else, normally you still have to roast and rub the little bastards yourself. Wonder if they go rancid quicker though?

Very nice cheese case with a passionate and knowledgeable staff

Lowlights:

It's still wobbly and trying to figure things out. Some fine tuning needed across the board.

Seafood section is pretty woeful.

Wines seemed a little pricey.

It's a pretty big gamble putting a place like this out there and most of the rest of the shops in that area aren't even up and running yet so it's kind of out on its own. For the longest time I kept hearing rumors of a new CM going out there but they finally just put up one of their high-end HEBs instead.

Unfortunately where my parents live it's equidistant to go here or into town to CM and Whole Foods and the latter two will win. Still for those closer to the Woodlands area I think it's a good draw and nicer alternative to going an hour+ into the city. It's got its heart in the right place and I certainly think it's worth pulling for.

ETA Address: 24 Waterway Avenue, The Woodlands 77380, Phone: 281.203.5600

Edited by Kevin72 (log)