• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sun Light Bakery Corp.

weinoo

Close to my apartment, East Broadway enters into Chinatown, and a whole new world awaits. Coming out of the subway yesterday, I was hungry for some hand pulled noodles, and started walking towards the now widely reported upon Lan Zhou Noodles, which makes some pretty darn tasty noodles of the hand pulled variety.

However, the activity at 160 East Broadway, Sun Light Bakery Corp., caught my eye, and I wandered into the tiny storefront, presided over by two very non-English speaking women (there was a lot more activity going on in the back of the shop, which was seemingly cranking out buns at a rate much greater than could be sold in the front of the shop). Fortunately, there was a young, bilingual speaker getting an order, and he helped me negotiate the offerings.

Okay, to start with, I've never seen one of these:

gallery_6902_6387_36884.jpg

It is some sort of steamer, crepe maker thing, into which one of the women puts a bit of pork (or beef, or chicken evidently), and then pours a ladleful of batter on top - the batter can be seen in a bowl on the far right. Then, some chopped scallions and cilantro are scattered about and the pan is whisked into the cooker.

gallery_6902_6387_51983.jpg

After a minute or two, the drawer is pulled out, and the cooked product is cut up with a plastic dough scraper...here's a semi-action shot:

gallery_6902_6387_43459.jpg

A few sauces are put on top, and the finished product looks like this:

gallery_6902_6387_10933.jpg

It was delicious - and different from the more traditional rice noodles, which it so happens are available from a little cart at the corner of Jefferson and East Broadway, and which I also bought in order to do a comparison :smile: . These noodles come with fish balls, and you get 5 of them and a portion of noodles for $1.50; the cart also has other offerings, including curry squid, lotus-leaf wrapped rice and congee, which amazes me, since there is literally no room to turn around inside the cart. It makes some of those coffee carts in midtown look like townhouses compared to a studio apartment.

gallery_6902_6387_34720.jpg

The noodles from the cart are a little chewier, and are sauced in a much sweeter manner - i.e. with hoisin, sesame, and a "hot sauce," whereas the freshly prepared crepes are a bit more savory and tart.

Either way, both are delicious. And Sun Light also sells a bun, huge, with a pork filling, but not roast pork. My total for a bun and the noodles at Sun Light was $2.25, meaning I spent $3.75 for lunch and couldn't finish it all.

So, China-philes, are these chow fun or something else?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Those look like cheung fun (rice noodle rolls, usually found at dim sum) to me, and I've seen a similar machine being used on the street in Flushing (outside Corner 28).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathryn/28130...57607030835636/

That's it - awesome! I had quite a definite feeling that these were cart worthy. Never ceases to amaze me what can come out of a cart.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

There is a cart on the weekends that does these same crepe on Elizabeth and maybe Hester, on the northeast corner in front of the old Dynasty grocery store (it just reopened as something else). They are really, really nice, much better than the dim sum variety. I wish I knew exactly what the sauce was. It is thin and has the appearance of soy sauce, but is nowhere near as salty and heavy. I don't get much sesame flavor, either, just a richness that goes nice with the crepe and hot sauce.

There is a cart on the weekends that does these same crepe on Elizabeth and maybe Hester, on the northeast corner in front of the old Dynasty grocery store (it just reopened as something else).  They are really, really nice, much better than the dim sum variety.  I wish I knew exactly what the sauce was.  It is thin and has the appearance of soy sauce, but is nowhere near as salty and heavy.  I don't get much sesame flavor, either, just a richness that goes nice with the crepe and hot sauce.

Probably a mix of Chinkiang vinegar and soy.

And thanks for the tip on the weekend cart...not surprising that they'd set up there.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

um... since im asian ill take this one...

The dish is actually called Chi Chung Fun not the right spelling but its easier this way... The sauce is actually a sweet soy... Usually made with caramelized sugar and soy.

Depending on what protein is in it the name changes slightly.... like

Char Sui chung fun.

Edited by SeanDirty (log)

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.