• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Munich neighborhood restaurants

We will be in Munich next month for several days, staying between the Nymphenburg Palace and the Hirschgarten. We are looking for walking-distance(15-20 minutes)restaurants for those evenings we decide not to venture anywhere by public transit. Does anyone have any recommendations for worthwhile places, preferably those serving regional specialities?

We will be in Munich next month for several days, staying between the Nymphenburg Palace and the Hirschgarten.  We are looking for walking-distance(15-20 minutes)restaurants for those evenings we decide not to venture anywhere by public transit.  Does anyone have any recommendations for worthwhile places, preferably those serving regional specialities?

There is no recommendable place serving regional specialities within the walking distance you mentioned. The restaurant "Schlosswirtschaft Schwaige" in the Nymphenburg Castle offers regional dishes. May be the new owner serves now better food. I haven't been there lately.

There are two restaurants in the Nymphenburg-Neuhauser aera which I can recommend:

"Broeding" http://www.broeding.de/

and

"Zauberberg" http://www.restaurant-zauberberg.de/restau...-zauberberg.htm

May be these Restaurants are within the 15 to 20 minutes walk but it depends where you'll stay.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

I ate Greek food when we were out that way....I dunno our host chose :blink:

It is a very short ride on the tram right to the Hauptbahnhoff (I probabley mangled that word)

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...
I see that Broeding serves a five-course set menu only.  Is it reasonable to assume the menu is posted early in the day so that prospective diners will know what will be served before they reserve a table?

Reservations can be done by call each day (except Sundays and Mondays) at 15:00 o'clock and then you can ask about the menue beeing served for dinner. If you don't like a course, changes can be possibly done on desire.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our visit and it turned out that we were unable to eat a real dinner anyway for the reason that we tended to stuff ourselves during the day on full lunches at various places serving traditional Bavarian dishes as well as the obligatory beer. The place we enjoyed most was across from the Hofbrauhaus to the west--the one serving Ayinger products, including a terrific winterbock.

Incidentally, we stayed in a hotel very close to Romanplatz and found few places we could have eaten within walking distance(the biergarten at the Hirschgarten was the closest--about a three minute walk)but the tram was so convenient we didn't mind leaving the neighborhood. The only reason we didn't eat real meals for dinner was our lack of stomach capacity.